Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Base for Versa Loc?

Hi guys, this is my first post, so be patient with me if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm doing versa loc blocks behind a new patio. The pad is poured and is 4" thick. The back wall will be 3' high and 36' long. The two side walls will start at 3' and taper down to the pad/ground level.

I want to put the first layer even, possibly 2" or 3" above the pad. First of all, is that possible or do I really have to bury it even with the pad?
Second, do I need to dig down 8" and then pack modified or can I get away with the existing soil (ash/rock/clay)? It seems to pack really good as I started digging and walking on top of it.
Lastly, what about the sides where it will be level with the ground? Should I dig the sides and do modified but not worry about the back?

Thanks for any feedback. I appreciate it, Rob
Old 11-02-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So if I'm reading this right, your finish product will have the pad up to the front of the wall? You need to have the first courses of the wall buried, this is what locks the wall in place. Below the buried courses you need at least 6-8" of compacted base. Up here 3/4 processed stone is most popular, different areas call it by different names. You might think that what you have there compacts good but it won't compact like processed stone. Also the point of the compacted stone is to also allow for drainage. You have a clay mix, that's not going to allow for proper drainage.

Going with a wall 3' above grade, I would have atleast 2-3 courses buried depending on the thickness of the stones, I prefer about 1' buried on a 3'wall.

Tags
versa loc , versa loc base