Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New Little Wonder Blower Optimax Problems!

Hey guys,
last October I purchased a NEW little wonder optimax blower 14hp Honda (lb270h) and I have had a ton of problems with it. 1st yard I tried to blow it broke down and wouldn't start. The shop finally cut a 1/2 in piece out of the rubber gasket on gas tank and it worked. Since the beginning the engine vibrations have caused the throttle control to slowly creep down, requiring that I adjust it every 30 seconds or hook up a bungee cord while pushing this 180lb machine around hills/ grass / etc... THEN the 1st time I use it this season the impeller bolt falls off! Took to the shop, and got it a few days later and put it to use and the starter cord breaks as im pulling on it!\
The machine is an absolute piece of ****. I had heard so many good things about it. Unless they give me a new machine im going to buy something else. Ive lost so much time from this machine. Does this happen to anyone else? This is a new commercial machine, I shouldn't be having any problems with it. Less than 40 hours of use.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Hey guys,
last October I purchased a NEW little wonder optimax blower 14hp Honda (lb270h) and I have had a ton of problems with it. 1st yard I tried to blow it broke down and wouldn't start. The shop finally cut a 1/2 in piece out of the rubber gasket on gas tank and it worked. Since the beginning the engine vibrations have caused the throttle control to slowly creep down, requiring that I adjust it every 30 seconds or hook up a bungee cord while pushing this 180lb machine around hills/ grass / etc... THEN the 1st time I use it this season the impeller bolt falls off! Took to the shop, and got it a few days later and put it to use and the starter cord breaks as im pulling on it!\
The machine is an absolute piece of ****. I had heard so many good things about it. Unless they give me a new machine im going to buy something else. Ive lost so much time from this machine. Does this happen to anyone else? This is a new commercial machine, I shouldn't be having any problems with it. Less than 40 hours of use.
Worked on a couple where the crank snout broke! Along with the bolt fallin out etc. They were new units.

......AMF!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does this happen to anyone else? Negligence at the factory is common in all factories. There are factory specifications for lock-tite locations on all units. Seems that one or two fell through the cracks. My suggestion is get ahold of locktite application specification take it to an authorized warranty dealership and watch the disassemble it to see if it was present. but not many people have time for that. The mechanics at the warranty shops are interested in the truth most of them will get you warrantied if its warranted. Good luck sorry this situation happen.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hey guys,
The fan bolt came loose on mine too at about 5 hours. Throttle always works its way down also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, good to hear, maybe ill switch over to a different brand. Very very poor performance for a new commercial machine. I don't know if its just mine or what.
thanks for everyones responses.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The thing is its blows good and physically it is built like a tank compared to other push blowers, very durable. The only thing that pisses me off really is the crappy cheap throttle setup on a comnercial unit. Oh and of course the fan damn near coming off after a few hours! Pretty sad. I thought mine was just a fluke but after hearing your story I am thinking than this fan issue may be more prevelant than I thought.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hey guys,
Interesting,I bought a 13 HP Little Wonder about five years ago. After about a week of use,the fan started to vibrate due to the bolt working its way out. Tightened it and no problems since that time.

The rope broke during the first season. Replaced with new cord,its been good for 4years.

Throttle cable broke midseason of 1st year. Never replaced that,I just use the lever by hand.

Looks like they have issues with these 3 things. Sucks when this happens on new equipment.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to know, sounds like these problems are common.
I wonder how billygoat blowers are. I know theyre not metal, and lighter.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was not crazy about the Billy Goats of a few years ago.Do not know if they have changed much in that time.My neighbor had one.Think it was 10 HP,do not remember for sure.Anyway,my 9 hp Little Wonder easily out blew it.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, "little" wonders.