Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Lbs. N per k winterizing?

So this will start a sh#t storm of a thread perhaps. But the norm we have all usually been taught is .75 to 1 lb per k of nitrogen in late October November for winterizing.

Question is- is it that horrible to drop to say .60 lbs per k with a 46-0-0?

Keep in mind we have a six app program. .5 lb per app in summer a little over that on both spring apps.

The first fall app is .75 per k.

Tried this approach last year and all the lawns looked just as good.

Thoughts?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Should work OK.

I began a fertilizer test last week on my neighbor's neglected vacant lot. Regular rate, double and triple on a small area. Temperatures today about 45, and rainy.Stay tuned.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 11-02-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Cool. Thanks Rig
Old 11-02-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Ohio State University Extension Office guide for maintaining sports fields and recreational turf reads that possibly the heaviest dose of nitrogen of the year to be put down as your final app. The recommendation is actually up to 1.5lbs per k with a quick-release source of N!

I personally have chosen to apply 1lb per k, 0% slow release for my winterizer.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do 5 apps.

.75lb

I have always been taught to pound the nitrogen in the fall. I don't think a slow release in the fall would so much good unless it's put down in September. My winterizer usually goes down Mid-October thru Mid-November.
I would be concerned with striping if I tried dropping that low. I've always errored on the side of too much vs. not enough. Plus I think it would be very hard to spread .6 lbs per thousand. That would be 38k sq ft out of a bag of 46-0-0. I don't know that I could do it out of my Z
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Raymond S.; 11-03-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like 'Winterizer" was defined by fertilizer salesmen rather than by botanists... Tru-Green Chemlawn does things according to money collection schedules also regardless of the consequences...
Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it's funny on the Z sprays when you get in large open areas and open it up to 8 mph how the rate changes. Vs small properties. I've been around .75 lbs per k. Just noticed the poundage came up a little short and was concerned. But
this property is mostly tall fescue, which I've been told takes less end per year than other cool season species. We'll see.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No wonder the one of the largest issues of lawn care these days is nitrogen finding it's ways into our water systems. Dumping Nitrogen onto lawns to get a green and flooding with water to keep green throughout 100 degree days while ignoring soil PH and soil structure is just ignorant to me. What I've always learned is 4 lbs of nitrogen is all a fescue lawn needs per year. And this includes any nitrogen you gain from mulching, side discharging, leaves, etc. If the lawn is not acceptable after 4 lbs of nitrogen a year, then you need to look at when you're fertilizing, watering techniques/schedules, soil structure, soil PH, and lastly Micro nutrients (iron, etc.) Am I off base here? I understand Customer satisfaction drives our industry but when do you say enough is enough and start worrying about our environment we're destroying?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I run 3-3.5 lbs N per season. 2/3 of which applied mostly after Labor Day.
Don't see a problem with that.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-15-2013, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
No wonder the one of the largest issues of lawn care these days is nitrogen finding it's ways into our water systems. Dumping Nitrogen onto lawns to get a green and flooding with water to keep green throughout 100 degree days while ignoring soil PH and soil structure is just ignorant to me. What I've always learned is 4 lbs of nitrogen is all a fescue lawn needs per year. And this includes any nitrogen you gain from mulching, side discharging, leaves, etc. If the lawn is not acceptable after 4 lbs of nitrogen a year, then you need to look at when you're fertilizing, watering techniques/schedules, soil structure, soil PH, and lastly Micro nutrients (iron, etc.) Am I off base here? I understand Customer satisfaction drives our industry but when do you say enough is enough and start worrying about our environment we're destroying?
You are right on the money. I deal with soils so bad that 2 lb of N applied at once hardly phases the grass. If grass does not get green and grow like mad on even 1/2 lb of N, more needs to be looked into. Looking into those other things can give you grass that is extremely fertilizer responsive.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738