Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolclay84 View Post
Mowerman thats awesome especially if you have good margins. Do you mainly do residential?
Posted via Mobile Device
I am mainly residential. In the winter I drive for an oil company and I take care of the property for mowing and clean ups, that is the only commercial account I have. For my first 5 years I used only an exmark Turf tracer, because I tried to keep my expenses down. But 2 years ago a pulled the trigger and got a toro 3000 with the bagger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

depends on your area .i have been doing this since 1976 .with so many new lawn cutters in my area i dont pick up many new accounts anymore . even with advertising . and prices we git suck ...
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
I believe what ever your reasons are, you will loose out on time with your children and your home life will also change, not necessarily for the better. Taking on more responsibility and the cost of equipment, maintenance, insurance, etc. will prove to be at best a break even proposition or net loss. If your wanting to try this for extra income, stick with working extra shifts with your present employer.
easy-lift guy
FIRE/EMS doesn't pay what a lot of people think. Especially when you break down those 48 and 72 hour weeks. Benefits are usually good for the individual and weak for the family. If he keeps it simple with gear he should do ok. A WB, 6x10 and handhelds will get him his 20 yard target. Allow for the write off to cover it and don't neglect the family. I think he wants something different to do on his off days. Worst case it doesn't work and he sells out. It doesn't take a lot to get started.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
FIRE/EMS doesn't pay what a lot of people think. Especially when you break down those 48 and 72 hour weeks. Benefits are usually good for the individual and weak for the family. If he keeps it simple with gear he should do ok. A WB, 6x10 and handhelds will get him his 20 yard target. Allow for the write off to cover it and don't neglect the family. I think he wants something different to do on his off days. Worst case it doesn't work and he sells out. It doesn't take a lot to get started.
Posted via Mobile Device
Point taken. A challenging balancing act for sure!
easy-lift guy
Old 11-03-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Patriot you hit the nail on the head. The problem with OT is that if I work any shift at the minimum I'm gone 14 hours (12 hour shift with 1 hour commute each way) that means that I miss dinner, taking kids to school, ect. I want to earn more $$$ but I don't want to sacrifice all my spare time in the process.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I started 3 years ago, and I am just South of Houston. I recently turned my Google Places ad off and took down my website, because I have more work than I can handle and the request kept coming in. I am in the same boat, I have been in EMS for 19 years and I currently work at a slower station that allows me the benefit of mowing the day after a 24 hours shift, most of the time. I started doing this when the wife and I had children, so she could stay at home with the them. I can make more in 4 to 6 hours of mowing than what I would have made in a full 24 hour shift, be it OT or a second job. Public Service just doesn't pay.

All I can say is go for it. I started with loading up the tools that I used to mow my own lawn, and currently have a 17 foot enclosed trailer with 2 ZTRs 48"/60", 32" WB, and the original 21" Honda that started it all. Bought everything brand new all Stihl and John Deere Commercial equipment. Paid cash for everything but both ZTRs, 0% financing, I could not pass that up.

www.finneylawns.com
Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you don't mind me asking what are the pay benefit packages like in those area for FF/EMT's. Years back I was a volunteer FF/Emt-B and I tested over the Pacific Northwest. Pay rates are $32k to $46k to start in my region.

There a hand full of Seattle FF who live here in Idaho and trade shifts to make it worthwhile. Also a few Los Angeles Fire Fighters who live in Sand Point, Idaho and do the same thing.

There is a high concentration of retired LAPD and LAFD in the area here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

An experienced Paramedic can start out between $55-60k/year. A new Paramedic can start out at about $42-45k/year.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
If you don't mind me asking what are the pay benefit packages like in those area for FF/EMT's. Years back I was a volunteer FF/Emt-B and I tested over the Pacific Northwest. Pay rates are $32k to $46k to start in my region.

There a hand full of Seattle FF who live here in Idaho and trade shifts to make it worthwhile. Also a few Los Angeles Fire Fighters who live in Sand Point, Idaho and do the same thing.

There is a high concentration of retired LAPD and LAFD in the area here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you met Mark Furman?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Have you met Mark Furman?
I saw him in the CDA resort lobby a number of years back. Meet him no. He had a talk show on one of the Spokane radio stations a number of years back.

I was born in Hollywood, CA fwiw.

Moved here with my dad when I was 14.
Posted via Mobile Device