Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.fuel-testers.com/index.html

You can buy quick and easy portable fuel testing kits where you can quickly test the gas right at the pump. This site has a ton of links and info about gas and ethanol.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcutter View Post
its not a new problem. in the early 20th century, shop keepers that sold dairy would water down milk. those that took it to the extreme would add white chaulk powder to the watery milk to bring back the color.

except today, with something so universally used like gasoline you would think more testing would be done. but it was a government mandate that shells around large sums of money so what else can you expect.

I for one hate ethanol in gas.
Here you go. http://www.ksgrains.com/ethanol/regmyths.html. Personally i like the 10% ethanol, just not for engines before 1995. There are good things about it... For older engines there are newer carb kits and hoses to make the old engines run on ethanol fuel better also.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cubcadet3235 View Post
Here you go. http://www.ksgrains.com/ethanol/regmyths.html. Personally i like the 10% ethanol, just not for engines before 1995. There are good things about it... For older engines there are newer carb kits and hoses to make the old engines run on ethanol fuel better also.
You posted a site sponsed by the Kansas Corn Commission
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
You posted a site sponsed by the Kansas Corn Commission
All i know is it tells the truth about ethonal fuel that it has good effects and not all are bad.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX12R;4896807[url
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/BOSCH/Fuel-Filter-Part/120930/54147[/url]
This filter is significantly cheaper at Rockauto.com. It goes for $5.53 instead of Jack's $31.14.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This filter is significantly cheaper at Rockauto.com. It goes for $5.53 instead of Jack's $31.14.
Thanks Richard,the link was to show the note on ethanol more than it was for price.Two years ago year I paid almost $40 thru dealer. I ordered one for stock which came yesterday from BMA Auto parts in Cali. The filter was $6.05 .The price makes it a no brainer to change filter yearly given the standards for gas/fuels of today in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX12R View Post
The price makes it a no brainer to change filter yearly given the standards for gas/fuels of today in my opinion.
I believe that you can stick to the manufacturers recommendation for these filters. I ran mine right to 1500 hours with no problems. It is an automotive filter and most people never bother changing the fuel filter in their vehicle unless they have a problem. I've also never seen a fuel filter become damaged. I've certainly seen them clog up, but never damaged by fuel.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I believe that you can stick to the manufacturers recommendation for these filters. I ran mine right to 1500 hours with no problems. It is an automotive filter and most people never bother changing the fuel filter in their vehicle unless they have a problem. I've also never seen a fuel filter become damaged. I've certainly seen them clog up, but never damaged by fuel.
You are probably right,it just makes me nervous that all of a sudden,they are worried about ethanol when using this filter.I think i changed my filter for the first time at 1800 hours. I could barely blow thru it.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX12R View Post
You are probably right,it just makes me nervous that all of a sudden,they are worried about ethanol when using this filter.I think i changed my filter for the first time at 1800 hours. I could barely blow thru it.
At 31 bucks a pop, they make a LOT of money on each filter that they sell. Of course they're going to encourage people to replace it every year. If you have concerns call Bosch and ask them instead of taking advice from a thieving dealer.

Bosch Customer Service:
888-715-3616

Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
At 31 bucks a pop, they make a LOT of money on each filter that they sell. Of course they're going to encourage people to replace it every year. If you have concerns call Bosch and ask them instead of taking advice from a thieving dealer.

Bosch Customer Service:
888-715-3616
Got that right! If another source is selling it for $7 and making a profit, how much are they making per filter selling it at $31?

Good advice Richard.