Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GooseNeck Vs Bumper Pull

Whats your guys take?

I like the idea of a goose neck for having a deck over, more room for attachments. Would make a batwing easier to transport as well, if I kept the tractor. I've found them for around $5-5500.

But I like bumper pulls. They're simple. I can get a 20ft 14k one for around $4k. Either implement or skid steer style.

Biggest machine I would transport would be a 333d or t770. I use an excavator as well, largest has been a e42. I would like to consider a e50 at some point, but i'm not there yet.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should come down south to buy trailers.. I paid $4200 for my new/used very very little gooseneck.

I like my gooseneck and all but when I have to move just my bobcat to a job for an hour or go pick up something to big for the bed of the pick up but to small for the gooseneck, makes me really want an 18ft bumper pull. I get sick of crawling in and out of the bed for a small trip.

My first trailer was a deckover bumper pull... That's always an option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got a 18' bumper pull for the skid steer or whatever. And got a 30' gooseneck for the tractor and batwing, both have there place.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
You should come down south to buy trailers.. I paid $4200 for my new/used very very little gooseneck.

I like my gooseneck and all but when I have to move just my bobcat to a job for an hour or go pick up something to big for the bed of the pick up but to small for the gooseneck, makes me really want an 18ft bumper pull. I get sick of crawling in and out of the bed for a small trip.

My first trailer was a deckover bumper pull... That's always an option.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't really like deck over bumper pulls. I used to pull one behind a 550 and didn't care for it. I don't know if it was too high or too short. I just never felt comfortable with it

You got any dealers to recommend? I'm planning to buy a dump trailer at the same time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will be over weight and kill a 14k equipment trailer with either one of those track machines. Ask me how I know
Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
You will be over weight and kill a 14k equipment trailer with either one of those track machines. Ask me how I know
No I won't. They'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
No I won't. They'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes you will. 2-7k axles = 14,000 gvw trailer weight 2350 new gvw 11150 lbs. 329d(that's what I have) 13300 lbs, bucket 750 lbs, land plane 1300lbs total weight on trailer 15350lbs. I ran across scales and in real world weight I had 16,000 on trailer with that setup and that didn't include tongue weight that was on my truck. I ran that way to long, went thru tires and bearings. I didn't think I was that heavy until I hit scales. We upgraded our 14 ply tires to 5/8 studs and 17.5 tires it fixed the tire and wheel problem. Still going thru bearings and having general frame promblems on trailer. Still use 14k trailer on occasion, loader usually rides on pintle hitch tri axle 8k axles on 17.5's behind 450 or 550's or 20 ton tag behind tandem. I was on fence like u, then realized my problems. I would be looking at a 22 +5 tandem dual 10 k gooseneck and not look back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
Yes you will. 2-7k axles = 14,000 gvw trailer weight 2350 new gvw 11150 lbs. 329d(that's what I have) 13300 lbs, bucket 750 lbs, land plane 1300lbs total weight on trailer 15350lbs. I ran across scales and in real world weight I had 16,000 on trailer with that setup and that didn't include tongue weight that was on my truck. I ran that way to long, went thru tires and bearings. I didn't think I was that heavy until I hit scales. We upgraded our 14 ply tires to 5/8 studs and 17.5 tires it fixed the tire and wheel problem. Still going thru bearings and having general frame promblems on trailer. Still use 14k trailer on occasion, loader usually rides on pintle hitch tri axle 8k axles on 17.5's behind 450 or 550's or 20 ton tag behind tandem. I was on fence like u, then realized my problems. I would be looking at a 22 +5 tandem dual 10 k gooseneck and not look back.
Posted via Mobile Device
T770 weighs 10k same as e50. I'm not interested in anything over 14, due to price and Cdl.

A dual tandem would be way too much trailer for me lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
T770 weighs 10k same as e50. I'm not interested in anything over 14, due to price and Cdl.

A dual tandem would be way too much trailer for me lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Your still going to have to deduct the weight of the trailer plus the the weight of any attachments, and the weight of the machine from your 14k gvw. So you will be on the hairy edge of legal.

PS- Don't forget the weight of the binders and chains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaVerdeLM View Post
Your still going to have to deduct the weight of the trailer plus the the weight of any attachments, and the weight of the machine from your 14k gvw. So you will be on the hairy edge of legal.

PS- Don't forget the weight of the binders and chains.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm aware of that. Not too concerned about the largest machines. Most machines will be in 8k range

Just trying to figure out what kind of trailer
Posted via Mobile Device