Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Winter work ideas

Around here we still visit most properties on regular mowing schedule til Christmas when leaves are finished. We do lose some seasonal customers whose lawns go dormant or have zero trees. We are in the transition right now and I think we may be down to 4 days of leaf clean up.

I'm hoping to get a steady amount of side work...pruning and misc jobs. To keep us busy for the 5th day.

Anyone got some good ideas for winter work? Keep in mind that the work is for a hourly employee.

- clean out gutters, but may be limited to 1st floor only.
- bed edges redefined, thought about buying a echo/sthil bed redifiner. Need to figure linear foot price
-pine straw/mulch special after leaves...wish I had storage for bulk order of straw

Any other ideas you have tried to sell? Maybe you've had request for certain jobs in winter?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you and I asked this question 2 or 3 times in the last year on here lol. You must think like me. I found you won't get much advice here for this seeing most guys are in the same boat being slow in the winter. I personally take a winter job last year was milking cows this year it's washing dishes at a restruant. But that's just for extra money to keep me entertained because I'm not the kind to sit around all winter. As far as the buisness income goes we plow snow for about 50 accounts so that's nice when we get snow. I added firewood also to the list for the winter, so here and there I sell a load. I also probaly try to get a couple cleanout jobs this winter if I can from advertising in the paper. I have a crew of 3 guys and they can collect seasonal unemployment if they chose to and make alittle extra plowing and some odd jobs if we get a few. Other than that I try to bank some extra money and pay up some bills if I can. I try to plan for winter as much as I can before it starts.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are starting to advertise for wood fences and dirt/tree work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gutter Down spout drain piping with pop ups,to help get water away from foundations.
Almost every house with gutters can benefit from them. It also helps keep flower beds from getting washed out etc.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Was hoping to get some ideas. I personally am ok with being slow but I'm the owner.

I'm just trying to find work for my hourly guy in hopes he will continue to stick with me through the winter. This year I hire a year round guy and a summer guy. I'm hoping we can get it done with me and one guy. When leaves really start falling I may be ok.

Some guys have mentioned pressure washing or small landscaping jobs but that takes some knowledge and equipment.

I was looking for easy no brain jobs that an hourly employee of a mowing crew can do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Equipment maintenance.

I run my equipment all year with just the bare basics in terms of that.
Now is the time to do all the rest.

Won't bring in money (matter of fact it's kind of an expense) but it's work and I thank myself every spring and throughout the year.

And if you have enough equipment, it can take me a month to get it all done.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make note of areas in customers lawn that need brush clearing, light limb cutting, and the sort of things that you don't have time to do when the ball gets rolling in the spring. Brush clearing is ALOT easier to do in the winter than summer.

If you were in irrigation late winter/early spring before the grass gets going is a great time to make improvements and new installs. If the weather works with you.