Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2013, 04:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Technique/Method for wand spraying tight areas

Just curious what everyone's method is for using a wand or gun in tight areas when you're boom spraying a property. For example: You have a spot sprayer mounted on a ztr with say an 8ft boom to spray the property with but in order to get around the fence lines and obstacles in the yard you park the machine and pull out a few feet of hose with a wand or gun. You've calibrated your setup for the boom, but what about the gun/wand? If you're going around a flower bed or an object what is your technique so that you know how much you're putting down? Are you waving back and forth or just holding the tip steady at a certain height and walking forward, etc?? Hopefully I've explained my question good enough for you guys to understand what I'm asking. Thanks.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds

Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for. But I use a Flat 40 degree Fan and I PINCH the Hose with my left hand to cut down on or turn off the flow while guiding the wand with my right hand in those tight areas. Paver's in Turf are always a PITA to spray around. BTW I always spray minor elements that stain so being careful is a must for me.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spraying at low volume My hand sprayer on my T is calibrated the same main nozzle so you have to move fast or you will burn the grass. my T runs at 5 MPH so you don't want to stand around to long.

Charles Cue
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 80'of hose and gun from Gempler's hung off tractor with 50 gallon sprayer and 14' boom. I can shut one side (either side) of boom off, which sometimes help trim. Otherwise I hoof it around obstructions, cut outs, fences, etc. I also keep. Backpack sprayer on truck if there will not be much to do. This is for athletic fields, primarily. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys, thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for. But I use a Flat 40 degree Fan and I PINCH the Hose with my left hand to cut down on or turn off the flow while guiding the wand with my right hand in those tight areas. Paver's in Turf are always a PITA to spray around. BTW I always spray minor elements that stain so being careful is a must for me.

Ric,

Do you just have the 40 degree Fan tip in a wand similar to the wand that comes factory on a backpack or ATV unit? Also, how far off the ground do you try to keep it when using it? If your height is say..20" (just throwing that number out there) did you calibrate it with water holding it 20" off the ground, then measuring the coverage width you got, then taking that number and walking a straight line for the length it took to equal 1000sq ft?

I'm wanting to totally eliminate my skid sprayer/250'x1/2" hose/tee jet gun with 1.5gpm shower cone tip from my inventory so to speak. I am leaning towards using my Hustler X-One slash "Larry-A-Green" for all herbicide apps and not even owning a skid sprayer anymore. They're too big, harder to rinse out, bulky in the truck bed, etc. not to mention I would like to get away from dragging the hose.

I've got the boom figured out. Just trying to work out the kinks on using my gun/wand in a low volume calibration setup. I'm thinking 100ft hose reel on the Larry-A-Green would enable me to sell off and be done with my skid.

When you're boom spraying a property, what do you do at the edge of the yard where the grass meets the street curb, driveway, sidewalks, etc.? Do you run the outside tip on the boom right up to the concrete and just drive as straight as possible, or do you use your 40 degree tip and wand to spray a foot or so in before using the boom? Edging with the wand would be the way to describe it I guess. Thanks.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 11-26-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardBoss Lawncare View Post
Guys, thanks for the replies.

Ric,

Do you just have the 40 degree Fan tip in a wand similar to the wand that comes factory on a backpack or ATV unit? Also, how far off the ground do you try to keep it when using it? If your height is say..20" (just throwing that number out there) did you calibrate it with water holding it 20" off the ground, then measuring the coverage width you got, then taking that number and walking a straight line for the length it took to equal 1000sq ft?

I'm wanting to totally eliminate my skid sprayer/250'x1/2" hose/tee jet gun with 1.5gpm shower cone tip from my inventory so to speak. I am leaning towards using my Hustler X-One slash "Larry-A-Green" for all herbicide apps and not even owning a skid sprayer anymore. They're too big, harder to rinse out, bulky in the truck bed, etc. not to mention I would like to get away from dragging the hose.

I've got the boom figured out. Just trying to work out the kinks on using my gun/wand in a low volume calibration setup. I'm thinking 100ft hose reel on the Larry-A-Green would enable me to sell off and be done with my skid.

When you're boom spraying a property, what do you do at the edge of the yard where the grass meets the street curb, driveway, sidewalks, etc.? Do you run the outside tip on the boom right up to the concrete and just drive as straight as possible, or do you use your 40 degree tip and wand to spray a foot or so in before using the boom? Edging with the wand would be the way to describe it I guess. Thanks.

LS only lets me post each Picture one time. The picture that would help you were already posted sometime ago. Therefore the pictures worth a thousand words can not be up loaded again. Sorry.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
LS only lets me post each Picture one time. The picture that would help you were already posted sometime ago. Therefore the pictures worth a thousand words can not be up loaded again. Sorry.

No problem. Thanks for the response.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardBoss Lawncare View Post
Just curious what everyone's method is for using a wand or gun in tight areas when you're boom spraying a property. For example: You have a spot sprayer mounted on a ztr with say an 8ft boom to spray the property with but in order to get around the fence lines and obstacles in the yard you park the machine and pull out a few feet of hose with a wand or gun. You've calibrated your setup for the boom, but what about the gun/wand? If you're going around a flower bed or an object what is your technique so that you know how much you're putting down? Are you waving back and forth or just holding the tip steady at a certain height and walking forward, etc?? Hopefully I've explained my question good enough for you guys to understand what I'm asking. Thanks.
Parking the machine = use a flat fan nozzle (my favorite).

Spot spraying on the fly (T3000) = use the standard "cone" nozzle.

Waiving back & forth is a no no. Especially with plastic stems We don't use plastic stems cuz they bend/break/shell out quickly.

Note: we switched to a slightly smaller "cone" nozzle on our T3000 stand-on spreader/sprayer units to match up correct spray amounts.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you don't have an easily adjustable regulator on your rig, get one.Teejet makes a great one for low volume spraying. I use an 80 degree fan tip for boom and wand. I played with the regulator until I got the single tip on the wand to put out the same as a single tip on the boom. Once you figure out what PSI you need for each, it's as easy as the turn of a knob.

Like Ric, I've "pinched off" the hose somewhat to regulate flow.

It's been a long time since I've seen one but I have used a flow restrictor that was installed in a chemlawn gun as well. It was a disc that was installed in the base of the gun that helped regulate flow for wand applications.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

YardBoss raised a good question, and I think I know what he was getting at >>> applying the correct amount of ai/volume per square foot the best he can.

7 years of running T3000's has taught me alot. 3 different nozzles. Full spray. Trim spray. Spot spray. The key is to put out proper volume & match the ai per sq ft. Our stand-on spreader/sprayers do this without having to do any sort of "hack job".

Anybody else "pinch off hoses" to regulate their equipment??