Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-02-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Passing out 1,000 Fall Cleanup Flyers

I am planning on passing out 1,000 Fall Cleanup flyers this week. The leaves in N.Y are just starting fall. How many responses for cleanup do you think I will get
Old 11-02-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

250 EDDM haven't preformed well over time vs other marketing mixes.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any marketing in my opinion is good.
Even if you get 1% return you will make your money and now 1000 new people will know your name.
Go get em!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like dependable landscape said, it's about getting your name out there in front of 1000 people. When I first started marketing my company we were hitting houses 4+ times a year for different services plus weekly adds on the cover of newspapers. I felt like I was wasting thousands of dollars as we were getting little calls in comparison to the investment. I almost gave up on advertising, but after a while, once people started recognizing our name/logo we started seeing out roi continue to climb. Now we often get requests through our website where the customer found us through google. When we talk to them we commonly here that they remembered us from a flyer/postcard/ad from months ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
Like dependable landscape said, it's about getting your name out there in front of 1000 people. When I first started marketing my company we were hitting houses 4+ times a year for different services plus weekly adds on the cover of newspapers. I felt like I was wasting thousands of dollars as we were getting little calls in comparison to the investment. I almost gave up on advertising, but after a while, once people started recognizing our name/logo we started seeing out roi continue to climb. Now we often get requests through our website where the customer found us through google. When we talk to them we commonly here that they remembered us from a flyer/postcard/ad from months ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
nice
I passed out 1,200 flyers the other day with 1 friend in about 7 hours and got 2-3 calls from it.
Like other said, aside from immediate result, it does get you name out there
Someone can save that flyer and 3 months from now give you a call
Old 11-02-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
I am planning on passing out 1,000 Fall Cleanup flyers this week. The leaves in N.Y are just starting fall. How many responses for cleanup do you think I will get
I just picked up a clean up customer for this fall and got their lawn mow for next year. This was from a flyer that I gave out this past February, March or early April. Not sure.

Local paper weekly ad since middle 1st week October got me 3 estimates and 1 of them hired me to do their fall clean up.

Now getting just 2 new customers may not sound like much but it makes my total number of cleans ups higher this year over last year. And be the starting point to grow from next year.

So you have to be patient and keep advertising. Your business will grow.

Not every mowing customer that I have wants fall clean ups. Then the opposite is true I have some people that do their own mowing but do not want to do clean ups.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

Not every mowing customer that I have wants fall clean ups. Then the opposite is true I have some people that do their own mowing but do not want to do clean ups.

This is the main reason we learned early on not to advertize for this service. We would just get a bunch of impatient one time clients that had no plans of using us again yet figured we would drop everything the second they called to say were ready.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The new customer that the husband agreed to hire me on Saturday to do a weekly fall clean up and mow for them next year just called me this morning (Sunday after) to say his wife wanted to cancel for now. Maybe he will get back to me.

The wife did not like the $36 price. Did not like sales tax. Claims they are in a $30 neighborhood.

I said you complained how the last guy (customer said that he is not answering my phone calls) keep making the edging gap wider. Claimed he was mulching but just went around with his shoot open, and blast the clippings into the raised bed block walls. Which the grass would then stick to and be hard to get off.

I told him I mulch deck closed, I use an edger not a line trimmer on the edges.

Then I said when a person has to make so much money a day. If he has to cut prices he will cut corners to get done faster because he will have to do more lawns because he needs to do more volume to make the same money.

Win some lose some. This is why you keep advertising all year.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
This is the main reason we learned early on not to advertize for this service. We would just get a bunch of impatient one time clients that had no plans of using us again yet figured we would drop everything the second they called to say were ready.
You need to qualify your advice.

You have enough work that you can be fussy.

I have just finished my third year. Things really took off for me this year. I did more this year then I did my first two years. Though I can easily add 14 more customers and still work alone.

Not all of my customers want fall clean ups. I am ok with that. They pay me my price. I have one old lady that still mows her own lawn.

I will take those that mow their own lawn but to not want to rake leaves or by a BR600 BP blower.

They can turn into lawn customers.

The best part is they improve my bottom line. I do not low ball.

They make my gross better.

Sitting in my garage doing nothing brings in nothing.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
The new customer that the husband agreed to hire me on Saturday to do a weekly fall clean up and mow for them next year just called me this morning (Sunday after) to say his wife wanted to cancel for now. Maybe he will get back to me.

The wife did not like the $36 price. Did not like sales tax. Claims they are in a $30 neighborhood.

I said you complained how the last guy (customer said that he is not answering my phone calls) keep making the edging gap wider. Claimed he was mulching but just went around with his shoot open, and blast the clippings into the raised bed block walls. Which the grass would then stick to and be hard to get off.

I told him I mulch deck closed, I use an edger not a line trimmer on the edges.

Then I said when a person has to make so much money a day. If he has to cut prices he will cut corners to get done faster because he will have to do more lawns because he needs to do more volume to make the same money.

Win some lose some. This is why you keep advertising all year.
I could not edit this so I quoted to add to the post.

The wife did not like that they would be put on a Monday or Tuesday.
She wanted a Friday. Would settle for a Thursday.

When I gave the guy my sales pitch Saturday I said I do not schedule mows on Fridays that is the make up day for rain outs. Thursday is already filled.

He said I guess it takes time to work up the schedule. I said it does but where people live effects the schedule as well. There is the fuel expense and time factor wasted with jobs spread out.

I felt like telling the guy to tell his wife her 11,000 SF lawn at $36 is not going to have the leverage of a 3 acre $180 lawn. Though this was one of the few times that I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut.