Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of the IS2000Z from 2007 so about 12 months after launch it cuts awesomely. When I put razor sharp blades on a leveled deck I can cut at 10 mi/hr with great results. After 25 lawns ( this is like a season on a homeowner machine) its ready to get the blades sharpened again. I keep looking to compare the new deck and whats different under there and how the grass from the left blade throws the clipping across through the center blade and to the right blade and figure whether I see more stingers on the new machine or not.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had a Ferris 1500/48", and am now on my 2nd 3000/61". So I've only know a Ferris ride & their suspension. I did cut a horse farm for a time. After a while the owner wanted me to cut his pastures with his large JD zero turn. Crossing some of the areas that I cut with my Ferris with a little 'bump'.... nearly bounced me out of the seat on the JD. I rode comfortably over them at half speed on my Ferris.....I was down to a creep on the JD. In the end....I used my Ferris in the pastures too as the JD beat me up too much. I knew then that it would take an lot of convincing to get me to use something else.

I've seen a lot of talk in different posts about the quality of the cut with a Ferris.....or the lack there of. I have the stripe kit and I've never had a complaint from a customer. The only mower I seen that stripes significantly better would be a Walker. EVERY property that I pass with stripes that get my attention is mowed by a Walker. Other than belts and routine maintenance....I haven't had the issues I'm hearing on here....but my current machine is only at 500 hours. Hope that helps....
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on seeing the walker stripes. Quality of cut for me when I bag everything never had any clumping. I mainly look for stringers to judge quality of cut.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a brand new is3000. Within the first year the rear left suspension broke. Still love the machine.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone, I have a 2011 IS3100 with 1200+ hours, and I will never buy a ferris ever again. I had spindles seize in the first 20 hours, then shocks go out at 70hours or so, pump failed under 1000 hours, wheel motor failed before the pump, pto failed twice already, pin broke in engine at under 1000 hours also, regulator failed last week, and just on Friday altanator failed this machine is the worst purchase I have ever made. If anyone says that I abuse it in these conditions I will just say my 2005 hustler has been my brake in mower on new properties, and is still running and holding down the fort every time the ferris is down in the shop. Based on my experience I just purchased two hustler Super Z HD's with 72" decks, and if they are anything like my old hustler Z I will be in pretty good shape. Sorry for the rant oh ferris has great customer service and do back any issues with warranty that is the one thing positive I can say for the company they back there product 100%.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you got the one in a million lemon. It could happen to any machine really... I've run ferris for 14 years and never had any suspension issues. It's the only way to go! The other stuff has nothing to do with ferris. All the companies run the same pumps and wheel motors and engines.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Ashgrove, I might have gotten a lemon, but the ICD deck also got bent and folded to the point where I had to replace it. The build quality was not as strong as my other mower, which I also replaced its deck right after I replaced the ferris deck, but that deck was 8 years old and did not have a bend on the leading edge. I am not trying to argue with anyone just saying what I have experienced with my Ferris, its a shame cause I loved the concept especially being that the ground down here is far from smooth.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wait... You bent the deck!? I have abused/used my ferris's and slammed my decks plenty of times. No way your deck was bent under normal to heavy use!!!! You HAD TO BE using it way beyond it's intended use and then some to actually bend a double layer 10 gage piece of steel. There is no way it is the fault of the company. They all build the machines almost identically.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Admitting to..... "the ICD deck also got bent and folded" ....kind of throws a little light on how all the other issues might have occurred.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post

Overall I guess you can only expect so much from a company that made milk machines and is owned by Briggs & Stratton.
Finally someone said it. I love my vanguards but B&S makes stuff cheap to sell large volumes. They will be like BB soon if they don't change. Like someone else said we just want durability and quality. Price comes after those.
Posted via Mobile Device