Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are your must-haves on the trailer for repairs/emergencies?

I dont mean equipment, rakes, specific gas cans or anything like that. I mean what tools and spare parts do you keep and bring with you to every job site that are a must? Specific spare mower parts? A specific set of tools or tool that comes in very handy?

Going to do my 1st weekly clients this weekend, and all I keep thinking about is my WB breaking down and having to do an acre with the 21. lol

So what should I have with me? I already have tons of tools and Im going to make a separate tool kit for the trailer. Mostly looking for opinions on maintenance parts or replacement parts that like to break on the job but are an easy enough fix to do right then and there.

TIA!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Tire plug kit and cigarette lighter air compressor(or a full air tank) Never use fix-a-flat!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh good one, I have an air tank, Ill bring that puppy.

What belts should I have for the mower? Its a hydro drive....
Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Sponsor

One spare tire for your trailer, One 18 Volt drill with sockets to change out your flat trailer tire and a 2.5 Ton floor jack.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't carry any spare parts other than a trimmer head. If I had an enclosed trailer or box truck with landscape ramp I would carry deck belts and blades for sure.

Tools: wrenches, socket set, screwdrivers, breaker bar, wd-40, a spray lubricant, engine oil.

It really all depends on your setup and your route, how far away you travel from your shop/home.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
One spare tire for your trailer, One 18 Volt drill with sockets to change out your flat trailer tire and a 2.5 Ton floor jack.
easy-lift guy
Yes, floor jack... good idea. Only problem w/ my trailer is I cant find a spare rim for the life of me. I have a spare tire, but it would have to be mounted on one of the 4 rims already on the trailer... (sucks having an old 4 lug trailer...)
Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In addition to the above, fuel line, fuel filter, extra spark plugs, sand paper, and an extra mower key . If you are looking for a trailer spare tire, check out harbor freight , tractor supply or even walmart. They have tire and rim combos for about the same price as a tire
Old 04-24-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

extra mower key, thats a good one! I guess I could take it anywhere that makes keys and have them cut a spare...

My furthest house is about 20 mins away. The homes I do in my neighborhood I wont bring all of this stuff, but I want to have a container or 2 to throw in the back for further areas...

Good suggestions guys, keep them coming!

Am I crazy for not having spare mower belts with me? I really need to pick some up ASAP!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I used to take almost my whole shop on the trailer with me when I started, and now if it doesn't fit in the truck it stays home. After a while, you'll be able to know what's not worth it to carry.

A small tote with sprinkler parts has been my best "must haves" by far. If I take it, I never need it, but when I don't, I have to drive 20 minutes and go to 2 different stores to get a part and risk getting equipment stolen from my truck. Its also nice to have because there have been numerous time where some one walking a dog would ask me to check something out. Bam, easy 40 bucks.

My tool tote is an 18" open husky bag that has 2 small socket sets,channel locks, needle nosed pliers, couple screw drives, pvc cutters, riser remover, all the scwrenches that came with my handhelds, a few air filters, spark plugs, a spark tester, a 100" measuring tape, and some other crap in it.

Under the seat below that is an 18" husky dufflebag (3for 19$ @ the HD) that has gloves,shoes a few pairs of socks and a change of clothes. I keep and old hoodie in there as well. Never know when the temp will swing 15 degrees, but the few times it does, you'll be prepared.
A respirator and replacement cartridges live in that bag too.
Passnger side door panel pocket has a few edger blades, 6- 18' rolls of trimmer line and about 5 ratchet straps.

A cooler, water jug or whatever, but that empty 1 litter stainless steel bottle is a must have.

I keep a small stack of napkins in the drivers side door pocket. Cut a dusty yard and you'll be looking for a better place than your sleeve. I've found that I check the oil in everything often, unless I don't have any napkins to toss.

Nail clippers in the console have come in handy a few times.

Saftey glasses get crammed up on the passenger side visor. The Stihl glasses are 1$ each at a local dealer, so I get 10 or so sets a year.

My trailer is an open Big Tex 5x8, and only gets uused for clean ups and installs. I keep a manual pole saw handle inside of one of the top rails, and PVC pieces in the otherside.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I carry a come along with me. Never know when a mower will quit for some unknown reason that can't be fixed in the field. Sure is hard pushing a mower up a trailer ramp by yourself. A tow strap and an assortment of different lengths of chains is also in my truck.
30 years in business