Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #101  
Old 04-05-2014, 06:55 PM
RedDuty's Avatar
RedDuty RedDuty is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
3/4ton? 1ton? 4wd? Diesel? To pull a "future" 5x10 trailer? Sure let's waste fuel on overkill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Im planning on getting a Topkick to pull my air compressor
__________________
Ford
Bob-Cat & Exmark
Just building piece by piece
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 PM
jakes mowing jakes mowing is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: collinsville illinois
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturf View Post
You should buy a 3/4 ton period! Do you understand where Im CUMMING from?

Trust me i have nothing against 3/4 tons! I own one and im 15! But his scenario isn't like mine. His dad is buying his so he is limited to what he can get. I bought mine so I could choose what I could get.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 PM
jakes mowing jakes mowing is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: collinsville illinois
Posts: 281
And dont rule out dodge! Dodge is by far the best truck out there IMO. You cant really go wrong with any of the big three tho. They will all have problems along the line that's just how it is, just don't get a foreign truck please....
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 PM
gallihergreen's Avatar
gallihergreen gallihergreen is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Research Triangle, NC
Posts: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchannaultROLC View Post
Im planning on getting a Topkick to pull my air compressor
You sure that's enough truck? Better look at Peterbilts.
__________________
Chris

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 04-05-2014, 11:49 PM
RedDuty's Avatar
RedDuty RedDuty is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
You sure that's enough truck? Better look at Peterbilts.
I don't know maybe I should look into some day cabs.
__________________
Ford
Bob-Cat & Exmark
Just building piece by piece
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 PM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchannaultROLC View Post
I don't know maybe I should look into some day cabs.
Nah. You want a sleeper cab, so you can take naps between mowing customers. Also, think about how nice it'll be to just roll into the bunk, when you've been out plowing snow all day and night.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
Only because there is less power to the wheels
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchannaultROLC View Post
And a little less front heavy than the big V8
Thanks guys!
__________________
18 Years old
2005 Ford Ranger V6 4WD
Toro 20' Gas Push Mower
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl KM 130R w/ adjustable hedge trimmer and brushcutter attachment
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 422
It just might happen!

Ok, I can't reply to everybody, but I will say a couple of things.

1. Uturf: Just as jakes mowing said, 3/4 ton is out of the question. You gave some good reasons, but it is not justifiable for my situation right now, just as Patriot Services said.

2. I actually test drove a pickup this past Sunday. My dad took me to an independent dealer, and I drove a 4wd, v6, ford ranger. Now, this was not orginally what I wanted. But, after driving in it, and sitting in it, I found a foot/knee position that works. I also found a truck with less miles, for less money than the dealer truck on craigslist. I called the guy up, we are going to meet on friday. The plan has now shifted, once again, to a different truck. Before anyone says anything, I only plan to have the truck for 4 to 5 years and then I hope to upgrade to something bigger. Realistically, it make sense though. I will be doing landscaping through the rest of high school, and a little bit less in college. Then, I'll graduate with my degree, and be ready to upgrade to something bigger, in order to grow the business. In retrospect, I may have titled the thread wrong when I said "First Work Truck". I think it should be "First Truck". Anyways, any opinions on 4.0l v6 rangers are welcomed, or just general advice/comments.
__________________
18 Years old
2005 Ford Ranger V6 4WD
Toro 20' Gas Push Mower
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl KM 130R w/ adjustable hedge trimmer and brushcutter attachment
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 04-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
Ok, I can't reply to everybody, but I will say a couple of things.

1. Uturf: Just as jakes mowing said, 3/4 ton is out of the question. You gave some good reasons, but it is not justifiable for my situation right now, just as Patriot Services said.

2. I actually test drove a pickup this past Sunday. My dad took me to an independent dealer, and I drove a 4wd, v6, ford ranger. Now, this was not orginally what I wanted. But, after driving in it, and sitting in it, I found a foot/knee position that works. I also found a truck with less miles, for less money than the dealer truck on craigslist. I called the guy up, we are going to meet on friday. The plan has now shifted, once again, to a different truck. Before anyone says anything, I only plan to have the truck for 4 to 5 years and then I hope to upgrade to something bigger. Realistically, it make sense though. I will be doing landscaping through the rest of high school, and a little bit less in college. Then, I'll graduate with my degree, and be ready to upgrade to something bigger, in order to grow the business. In retrospect, I may have titled the thread wrong when I said "First Work Truck". I think it should be "First Truck". Anyways, any opinions on 4.0l v6 rangers are welcomed, or just general advice/comments.
Sure. back in my solo days I pulled your exact trailer with Ranger 2WD with 2.5 and a 5 speed. 6 years later sold it with 256,000 miles on original clutch. The 4.0 would be fine for you.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM
T.L.C.2013 T.L.C.2013 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
The 4.0l is a good motor and has plenty of power.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.08172 seconds with 8 queries