Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
For $10,000 you should be able to get a clean newer (2002-2005) 3/4 ton.
Posted via Mobile Device
I will definitley check one out when I start going out to dealerships. Thanks for the advice!
__________________
18 Years old
2005 Ford Ranger V6 4WD
Toro 20' Gas Push Mower
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose's Mowing View Post
I'd at least look at a 2500. price shouldn't be too out of line. In other words, you can find a decent 2500 for the same or a bit more than a 1500. Depends what your future goals are. If you have even an inkling of expanding, you'll already have a proper truck and that'll make growing that much easier. if you strictly intend to stay with a 36" wb and 21" mower, then a v6 1500 chevy work truck style would be fine as would a little dakota or something. But I think you might find you'll want to expand and will wish you had a bigger truck. If you decide to fold up shop after a year or two, a 3/4 series might be easier to resell too. post back and let us know what you decided.
Thank you for the advice. As of yet, nothing is decided, but I will be sure to update the thread when I've found a couple of possible trucks.

I have future goals, but I'm not sure if I will be going to college in my local area, or going away to college, so that impacts my goals too.
__________________
18 Years old
2005 Ford Ranger V6 4WD
Toro 20' Gas Push Mower
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,439
i would go with a one ton, I like fords i'm 6'2 and drive a 97 f350 regular cab 7.3 turbo diesel 4x4 and plow with it and do everything with it. I tow 10 yards of mulch with it in 7x14 dump trailer with ease, I have towed 4 yards of topsoil with it with ease, I have plowed 36" inch of snow with it, not with ease, but that's because I was learning how to plow that much snow, the truck had plenty of power to push. I tow my 18' landscape trailer with another f350 on my landscape with ease. I pull 4-5' high shrubs out of the ground with ease, and I get 12mpg while doing so consistently. I also do all my towing and drive in stop and go traffic around town, very little highway driving mixed in and when it is i'm usually doing 75 so I not driving the truck nice. it's always getting hammered on and its been taking the abuse for 50,000 miles no signs of quitting any time soon, its built ford tough. I prove that every day, even towing offroad with 12-16,000 behind it in the worst conditions possible. I paid 3500 for my truck and it still has very littler rust on the body, or anywhere on the truck especially for a ct truck that has had plow on it for 16 years and 287,000 miles...
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 PM
nylesedwards nylesedwards is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: avon, IN
Posts: 87
At least a 3/4 I started out with a f150 but after a year had to get a f250
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 PM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,439
I understand that a one ton is more then you need right now but you will grow into it....or you can buy a compact toyota extended cab 2wd for 5,000. then get a 30 people to ask to you plow their driveway or snow blow it, then you have to sell the toyota for 4x4 one, then you have someone ask you to haul away some logs that are 7' long and won't even fit in your truck unless you cut them up a lot, then you end up getting a bigger trailer now you have to sell the 4x4 toyota for a 3/4 ton then you have that for a year or so and you get sick of the 7 or 8mpg the gas motor gets towing your 6x10 trailer and you need a bigger trailer and now need a bigger truck to tow that trailer and now you finally decide you want to plow snow, so you want an 8' plow at least, so now you need a 1 ton truck that can handle this heavier plow, and tow your bigger trailer and haul more weight. It really is a lot easier and cheaper to just buy one 4x4 1 ton from the start, gas or diesel is up to you, but I wouldn't buy a gas truck. diesel is the only option for me with the heavy weight i'm moving 3-4 days a week. plus the longevity of a diesel is amazing. my 7.3 is a million mile motor....cummins are million mile motors, duramax are 500,000 mile motors which is still nothing to shake a stick at. all the trucks have issues. but in my opinion a ford 7.3 is gonna be the most reliable cheapest to run option. i've payed my mechanic about 2800 for maintenance on my truck this year alone most of it was done in excess, but I would rather change parts that are a little worn out, then need the truck and have it broken because I was trying to be cheap and save money and no replace something cheap like a water pump or tie rod or anything on the entire truck for that matter. If my driver side wheel bearing needed to be replaced both sides got done, that's how I am and always have been with maintaining my vehicles. I get my oil changed pretty close to every 3000 miles, sometimes I go a little over, but for only 75-80 dollars its cheap insurance to just change it every 3000 miles...plus I work the cost of my maintenance programs into my expenses so when I go to bid a lawn, or clean up or anything at all I know how much I have to make per day/week and month to continue maintaining my equipment with an open check book.
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 AM
KG26 KG26 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Birmingham MI
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
Buy a used half ton v8 with 4x4. You will have plenty of towing power and hauling will be much easier. Hauling 100 bags on a compact truck with a 4 cylinder isn't going to happen. I have a 2001 silverado 1500 with 4x4 and tow a 16' tandem axle with a 36wb and 60in ztr with ease. Find out what you want and go a step bigger because you will expand. I was in the same situation you are in. I'm 18 and just graduated high school.
You will expand I have out grown my current 5X8 trailer...
__________________
My tools:

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)


~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I understand that a one ton is more then you need right now but you will grow into it....or you can buy a compact toyota extended cab 2wd for 5,000. then get a 30 people to ask to you plow their driveway or snow blow it, then you have to sell the toyota for 4x4 one, then you have someone ask you to haul away some logs that are 7' long and won't even fit in your truck unless you cut them up a lot, then you end up getting a bigger trailer now you have to sell the 4x4 toyota for a 3/4 ton then you have that for a year or so and you get sick of the 7 or 8mpg the gas motor gets towing your 6x10 trailer and you need a bigger trailer and now need a bigger truck to tow that trailer and now you finally decide you want to plow snow, so you want an 8' plow at least, so now you need a 1 ton truck that can handle this heavier plow, and tow your bigger trailer and haul more weight. It really is a lot easier and cheaper to just buy one 4x4 1 ton from the start, gas or diesel is up to you, but I wouldn't buy a gas truck. diesel is the only option for me with the heavy weight i'm moving 3-4 days a week. plus the longevity of a diesel is amazing. my 7.3 is a million mile motor....cummins are million mile motors, duramax are 500,000 mile motors which is still nothing to shake a stick at. all the trucks have issues. but in my opinion a ford 7.3 is gonna be the most reliable cheapest to run option. i've payed my mechanic about 2800 for maintenance on my truck this year alone most of it was done in excess, but I would rather change parts that are a little worn out, then need the truck and have it broken because I was trying to be cheap and save money and no replace something cheap like a water pump or tie rod or anything on the entire truck for that matter. If my driver side wheel bearing needed to be replaced both sides got done, that's how I am and always have been with maintaining my vehicles. I get my oil changed pretty close to every 3000 miles, sometimes I go a little over, but for only 75-80 dollars its cheap insurance to just change it every 3000 miles...plus I work the cost of my maintenance programs into my expenses so when I go to bid a lawn, or clean up or anything at all I know how much I have to make per day/week and month to continue maintaining my equipment with an open check book.
Wow, thanks for all the advice. As of right now, leaning towards a 1/2 ton, possibly a 3/4 ton. I agree with you though on diesel truck and the 7.3 engine.

How is the regular cab in head and leg room for you?
__________________
18 Years old
2005 Ford Ranger V6 4WD
Toro 20' Gas Push Mower
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 PM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
I will definitley check one out when I start going out to dealerships.
Stay away from dealerships! Their pricing has to have enormous margins to pay the flooring (interest) on their expansive inventories. Craigslist and classifieds are the way to go.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 PM
jbell36 jbell36 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 1,218
ok, i didn't read every post, but DO NOT make a big mistake…buy a 3/4 ton, i can not stress that enough…1/2 is simply stupid unless it was strictly fuel related and you got a v6…i will say it again, DO NOT buy a 1/2, that's just stupid

3/4 tons are not that much more expensive if more expensive at all…i agree with one post, don't buy from a dealership…i found my dream truck on ebaymotors in 2010 and still love my decision to this day…oddly enough AutoTrader has a MUCH wider selection

with my experience with trucks i have found that the super duty has the most interior room…i have a 2008 super duty and my friend has a 2008 GMC 3/4 ton (both crew cabs) and he noticed that i have much more room in the cab than he does

a 3/4 ton is not any different than a 1/2 other than stronger suspension and bigger brakes, so why waste the money on a half ton…if you are even considering plowing then this shouldn't even been a question

and i would never buy a truck that didn't have 4x4, unless it was made for towing and would never see mud or snow…2x4 trucks are terrible in slick conditions because there is NO weight in the back, i would hate to have a front wheel drive car pull me out of the ditch

a 1 ton is also an option, but much harder to find

so either buy a v6 2x4 half ton or a 3/4 ton 4x4…i like diesel but i wouldn't say that is the hands down decision, especially in your case…

Last edited by jbell36; 11-11-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Stay away from dealerships! Their pricing has to have enormous margins to pay the flooring (interest) on their expansive inventories. Craigslist and classifieds are the way to go.
Ok, I was alternating between craigslist, carmax, eBay, and dealerships. I was noticing that the dealerships were overpriced and didn't have the year of truck I wanted. I'll stay away. Carmax isn't that great either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.10576 seconds with 8 queries