Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion, go with at least a 1/2 ton v8 with a 8 foot bed. 4x4 is up to you but if you don't buy it now you can't add $500 to $1000 and get it later.
We run both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton ford gassers. 95% of the summer we use the 1/2 tons for mowing, mulching and running around (made a 1000 mile trip and got 22mpg at 75-80mph). I plowed 3 years with a 98 f150 reg cab 8' bed and a Meyer 7.5 with wings without a replacing a single part. 04 and above 150s are rated to tow 9,400 to 9,900 lbs and handle it with ease. I got a load of asphalt grindings in my dump trailer and the yahoo loading had his buckets mixed so he gave me way too much, turned out the 7,000 I was suppose to get was actually closer to 14,000lbs. The f150 pulled it fine. Anything over a 1/2 ton is just accessorizing a truck that can do the job just fine. Don't get me wrong, everything about a bigger truck is better for some reason. One huge advantage of having a 3/4 ton or larger, is if you have to rent equipment like a skid-steer, you can haul it yourself.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
you will notice when it comes to diesel that you will find a lot of the 6.0 power strokes, there is a reason for that…they aren't very dependable, but you can "bulletproof" the engine and apparently that takes care of the problem, but that does cost a lot of money…i have the 6.4 and have had very few problems, but it's so packed in there that they have to take the cab off for any major work, which simply adds a lot of labor to the bill…the 7.3 is arguably fords bed diesel, with their newest (2011 and newer) 6.7 scorpion getting great reviews also

Chevy/GMC never produced a bad diesel (made by isuzu)…my favorite would be the LBZ that was produced right around 2006 (pre emissions)

Dodge never produced a bad engine either with the cummins…a lot of hard core diesel guys like the 5.9 12v cummins that was last produced in '98 i believe, then it went to the 5.9 24v up to early 2007, then the 6.7 late 2007 to now…from what i hear the 6.7 is very similar to the 5.9 but only with added emissions from the EPA bullshit…

Ford and dodge have solid front axels, apparently better for putting a plow on, but many GM fans will argue that with their independent front suspension, so take it for what it's worth

diesels are more expensive to maintain, an oil change is like $100, but lasts longer than a gas oil change…any major fixes are going to be much more expensive…when diesel was cheaper it made sense, now not so much…not to mention their initial cost…but they will last longer and pull harder/better if pulling is a main concern, better fuel mileage too…

if i was you, i would look for a gas super duty SingleRearWheel 3/4 or 1 ton…GM or dodge wouldn't be a bad decision either, i'm partial to ford but not saying i wouldn't drive anything else
Thanks for the advice. I will probably go gas if I get a 3/4 ton. Ford f250 for sure.
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty's lawncare View Post
Yeah man, I am fine getting in and out of my rig. I got plenty of head and leg room! It suits me great! If I can, I'll try to post a pic soon
Posted via Mobile Device
If you could that would be great, thanks!
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw

Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Definitely. The diesel, depending on which brand and model of engine, gets better mileage for the load being pulled. But, around here, diesel fuel is considerably more expensive. I've not done the math, but, I don't think you'd see the advantage of a diesel in an urban setting. Taken care of, a gas engine will last a very long time. More importantly, though, you'd have the heavier brakes and suspension components in a 3/4T or 1T. I wouldn't let the type of engine make or break a deal.
Ok, I don't think I'll be towing heavily on a daily basis, so it'll be gas if I get a 3/4 ton. Thanks for the advice!
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw

Old 01-26-2014, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought I might update the thread. I take behind-the-wheel drivers ed starting this Monday. Hopefully, at the end of the course, I receive a temporary paper license. In Feburary/March I am actually shopping. The top of my list is the Ford F-150, followed by the Toyota tundra, and the Nissan titan.
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw

Old 01-26-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
Hi, I'm 17 years old and I am having trouble deciding on a work truck to fit my needs in 2014. I'm making this post now, because I figured in January/ February when I would be looking at trucks, most of you would be on Plowsite. The work truck will be purchased as a used truck. I do not know if a compact or half ton truck is best for me. I have a couple of problems that go along with this decision:

I am servicing townhouses and single family home properties only. The truck will mostly be used for hauling, and eventually towing. The towing will be later on, a 5x10 utility trailer at most. The hauling will be the typical lawn care setup for me: 20’ push, handhelds, blowers, hand tools, gas cans etc. I might have a 36' wb in the spring to haul too. Additionally, I’ll be hauling mulch, topsoil (mostly bagged, occasionally bulk), and other landscaping materials. I only have 10k to spend, so is a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder better? I won’t be plowing or off-roading, so is 4 wheel drive necessary?

I am 6 feet 4 inches tall, and I will continue to grow for a little while longer. I need a truck with decent room. Is anyone of my size drive a truck that they really like the interior and space they have?

I plan on having the truck through the rest of high school and college, so I want to buy right the first time. I do not have any brand loyalty, but Chevy, Ford, and Toyota have the best dealer support around me. I know most of my problem can be solved by just going out and trying trucks. Does anyone have any advice for me before I go out and start?
How much liquid cash do you have? 10k? or are willing to finance 10k? If you have the cash, go big or go home! Invest now, not later!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
How much liquid cash do you have? 10k? or are willing to finance 10k? If you have the cash, go big or go home! Invest now, not later!
This would be liquid cash.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My son and I are both 6'5" and we like our gm truck cabs just fine ,the fords not so much as we have to duck to see the traffic lights .I find the ford seats are taller ,or the front of the cab roof curls down more than the gm trucks ,either way the fords are a pain in the neck for us .
Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbthims View Post
My son and I are both 6'5" and we like our gm truck cabs just fine ,the fords not so much as we have to duck to see the traffic lights .I find the ford seats are taller ,or the front of the cab roof curls down more than the gm trucks ,either way the fords are a pain in the neck for us .
That is very interesting, I have never heard that before. I will defintely look into that. Thanks!
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw

Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Put my 08 F150 through hell and back and I have to say I've been more than happy with what I've asked from it, even plowing commercially.

20 Years Old
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work