Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchannaultROLC View Post
Put my 08 F150 through hell and back and I have to say I've been more than happy with what I've asked from it, even plowing commercially.
Wow, that sounds like a solid truck. What engine do you have, and what plow could you put on?
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl KM 130R w/ adjustable hedge trimmer and brushcutter attachment
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It has the 4.6L V8 in it. I put a Boss 7'6" Standard Duty on it.
Here's a pic
Name:  2013-11-15 16.59.55.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  53.3 KB
Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It has the 4.6L V8 in it. I put a Boss 7'6" Standard Duty on it.
Here's a pic
Attachment 284797
That is a good looking truck! STX style right? I wonder if I can fit in or not. How is the interior space, and legroom?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
That is a good looking truck! STX style right? I wonder if I can fit in or not. How is the interior space, and legroom?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah STX package. I'm 5' 10" and I would still have a world of room if I was another foot taller lol. Know a guy that's 6' 5" and drives an old F150 and no complaints. If you get one get a Supercab, much more space. I've been in GMs and I'd say they're about the same room wise. I bought my truck before I knew I wanted to do this full time and it's really proved to pull it's weight before I add a second truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah STX package. I'm 5' 10" and I would still have a world of room if I was another foot taller lol. Know a guy that's 6' 5" and drives an old F150 and no complaints. If you get one get a Supercab, much more space. I've been in GMs and I'd say they're about the same room wise. I bought my truck before I knew I wanted to do this full time and it's really proved to pull it's weight before I add a second truck
Posted via Mobile Device
That is good to hear. Thanks for an honest review. Btw, I saw your picture thread, and everything looks really nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That is good to hear. Thanks for an honest review. Btw, I saw your picture thread, and everything looks really nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah you're welcome! I'm partial to Ford, always have been, but I have no problem with getting behind the wheel of a GM, both make a great work horse. Dodge, I'm not a fan. I have no experience with their foreign counterparts.

As far my personal experience with my truck, it's been great. I get sh*t from competition with 3/4's and 1 tons, but my truck keeps up just fine. I don't hesitate to throw 2000lbs in the back, and I plowed 13" with it a little while back. From being an old mans daily driver without even a factory hitch, it's the little half ton that could! Haha I'm throwing airbags on it, front and back, and that should help extend the life and make it more capable. With only 77k on it I hope to get over 200K out of the truck, and I'm also picking up a 3/4 ton to take a lot of the work load off it as well.

Thanks for looking too!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah you're welcome! I'm partial to Ford, always have been, but I have no problem with getting behind the wheel of a GM, both make a great work horse. Dodge, I'm not a fan. I have no experience with their foreign counterparts.

As far my personal experience with my truck, it's been great. I get sh*t from competition with 3/4's and 1 tons, but my truck keeps up just fine. I don't hesitate to throw 2000lbs in the back, and I plowed 13" with it a little while back. From being an old mans daily driver without even a factory hitch, it's the little half ton that could! Haha I'm throwing airbags on it, front and back, and that should help extend the life and make it more capable. With only 77k on it I hope to get over 200K out of the truck, and I'm also picking up a 3/4 ton to take a lot of the work load off it as well.

Thanks for looking too!
Thanks man, did you wish you had gotten a 3/4 ton right from the start, if you knew you really wanted to do this? I only ask because I know I want to do this, but I think I want to go to college first for a green industry degree. I wouldn't be using the truck as much in my college years, only daily driving, or if I decide to start a business there, but that is unlikly I think. But I will definetly be using in high school to haul and tow. I am leaning towards an 04-05 f 150 w/ 4.6 v8.
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl KM 130R w/ adjustable hedge trimmer and brushcutter attachment
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Going to go look at trucks today for the first time. Looking at half tons today with my dad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks man, did you wish you had gotten a 3/4 ton right from the start, if you knew you really wanted to do this? I only ask because I know I want to do this, but I think I want to go to college first for a green industry degree. I wouldn't be using the truck as much in my college years, only daily driving, or if I decide to start a business there, but that is unlikly I think. But I will definetly be using in high school to haul and tow. I am leaning towards an 04-05 f 150 w/ 4.6 v8.
I do wish that I would have spent the money and gotten a 3/4 ton but I didn't think I'd be going into this out of high school. I wanted to since I was 3 but family thought I shouldn't, ended up forgoing a scholarship to pharmacy school and started this! For your needs, a 1/2 ton will be fine. Mine has held up for all of my lawn cutting and landscape needs. I want to get a F350 for a new personal truck and make the half ton work only since I've already put it so far into the business. I think you'd be very pleased with it. Especially for a daily driver.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

If I were in your shoes, I would plan for the future. If you plan to plow, salt, haul a skid steer or dump trailer I would get a 3/4 or 1 ton. If you can afford it, get everything you NEED then add in the wants...

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!