Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quick summary of my Saturday excursion. I tried around 5 trucks or so. My plan is to go to dealers and sit in the trucks and see which ones I can fit into. Once I know what I want, it will be only going to private sellers from there. I have an uncle who has been a mechanic for 30+ years, so if I find one I am serious about, I will take it to him and have it checked it out. I tried a Toyota Tacoma v6, a Ford f 150, 2 Chevrolet Silverados, and a Nissan titan. The titan was the only one I felt completely able to move my foot between the pedals without banging my knee against the steering wheel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Townhouse Yards; 02-09-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you couldn't fit into an f150 or a silverado?….. there is no help for you king kong!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
you couldn't fit into an f150 or a silverado?….. there is no help for you king kong!

I'm with him on this.... I'm 245lbs and 6'3" and I fit perfectly fine in my 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 REGULAR cab.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Lol, ha. I am trying more next Saturday. They all have plenty of leg room, but some of them do not have enough tilt on the steering wheel I need for my knee to pass under.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes Landscaping View Post
I'm with him on this.... I'm 245lbs and 6'3" and I fit perfectly fine in my 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 REGULAR cab.
I will trying more next Saturday, playing around with the tilt of the steering wheel. As to your earlier post I had not responded to yet, I am a full time student, part time landscaper. I envision a full service company, in 7 years, when I am out college, and have had two years to grow. I just need a truck to suit my needs now, which is to be a good daily driver, and handle lawn and landscape maintenance needs. After college, probably a 3/4 ton.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you aaren't sitting far enough back, I have a couple friends your height and one of them has a half ton and he fits just fine.. and also, why do you have to lift your leg to switch from gas to break? Most of the time its the shorter guys with smaller feet that have to do that, iI just plant my heal and pivot. only time I have to really lift my leg and have it hit the dash or wheel is if iI am sitting way too close.

for what you are planning on doing right now iI would lean towards a half ton ford or chevy. and I almost never recommend that lol if you grow the business more after college then trade up then, 5 years from now (when you are done with college) would be about the longest iI would want to keep a previously used work truck anyway
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot to mention, the second guy is about 6'5 285 pounds and he drives a ford escape and says it is perfectly fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey man, I know you are fairly set on half tons, but I would seriously look into 3/4 tons. My first truck was a 1995 F-150 with the 302 V8, and it was a great truck to start with but after loading it with mulch, or dirt, it was not a bit of fun to drive with. Just something to think about.
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
Exmark 36" metro, 14hp belt drive, walk behind
Scag 36" 16hp advantage deck, belt drive, walk behind
Lawnboy 21" 9hp commercial walk behinds x3
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear
All Husquvarna saws: Everything from 14" Climbing to 48" 3/4 Wrap.
Thanks to Petzl, Buckingham, and Yale I am still alive!

And I'm 18...
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to level with you guys. The $10,000 is my dad's money. He is buying me a truck as a daily driver and for the business. He really wants to see me in compact, either the Toyota Tacoma or the Nissan Frontier. But he understands if I don't fit in the compacts, it won't work. I would really like a half ton to work and drive in. Maybe not a huge v8, but a decent truck with power, but still fine to drive to school in. He does not want me to have a v8 at all, he says it is to much for my needs. I am trying to convince him otherwise. Can you guys say why it's a good idea to start with a half ton, even where I am at, with only 10 accounts. I have at least two new ones who have signed on for the spring too, one of which is a install. BTW, I appreciate all the responses everyone has given me so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
Can you guys say why it's a good idea to start with a half ton, even where I am at, with only 10 accounts.
Because you'll outgrow those little trucks, in short order. Their small engines and beds will really limit you, especially if you're going to get into landscaping. Buy the right one, from the beginning. It's clear he doesn't understand this business. At least with a 1/2-ton, you can operate solo out of it, year-around, without a trailer. I'd definitely look for a V8. The smaller displacement engines aren't going to gain you much fuel mileage over the larger V8 engines. Just focus on a nice, clean example, that'll allow you reasonable growth.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer