Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 PM
B16bri B16bri is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 87
Irrigation and private well

Hey guys I'm about to close on a new house and IDE like to install an irrigation system on the property. I sit on 1 acre of land and my entire house water supply is from a private well. So it's obliviously it really important I don't run out of water because than toilets won't work can't shower wash dishes laundry Etc. I unfortunely don't know much on the well I do know it dug down over 300 feet and I believe the water table in my area is kinda high so my question to you guys is is installing an irrigation system on a well possible ? What concerns could I face ? Who was experience with sprinkler systems and wells and how did it turn out
Thanks Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by B16bri View Post
Hey guys I'm about to close on a new house and IDE like to install an irrigation system on the property. I sit on 1 acre of land and my entire house water supply is from a private well. So it's obliviously it really important I don't run out of water because than toilets won't work can't shower wash dishes laundry Etc. I unfortunely don't know much on the well I do know it dug down over 300 feet and I believe the water table in my area is kinda high so my question to you guys is is installing an irrigation system on a well possible ? What concerns could I face ? Who was experience with sprinkler systems and wells and how did it turn out
Thanks Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
You should be able to get the well production logs at the title company. They have copies of all docs that are pertenent to the property. You should also do a two hour pump
Down test of the well. That's for starters
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 PM
mitchgo's Avatar
mitchgo mitchgo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,673
Well pumps weren't made for the water demand irrigation system's use.

I would suggest getting a 500-1000 gallon storage tank and an on demand pump for the irrigation
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 AM
zman9119 zman9119 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northwest of the idiots in the corn and trees (IL)
Posts: 517
Some states even have all their permit logs online. In Illinois, you can search the ISGS-PRI website for the records of wells drilled in the State. It includes water and related well data for private water wells, engineering borings, and stratigraphic borings.

http://maps.isgs.illinois.edu/ilwater/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:05 AM
greenmonster304's Avatar
greenmonster304 greenmonster304 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: You Know
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Well pumps weren't made for the water demand irrigation system's use.

I would suggest getting a 500-1000 gallon storage tank and an on demand pump for the irrigation
This is not always the case. Here it is very common to have the driller install a 1 or 1.5 hp pump on a regular house. Those pumps make 18 and 28 gpm with our water table levels. So that leaves plent for the house and system.

But I have never seen or heard of the reports you guys talk about with well depth, water level, and production rates. I am usually on my own to figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 22,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Well pumps weren't made for the water demand irrigation system's use.

I would suggest getting a 500-1000 gallon storage tank and an on demand pump for the irrigation
I have over 500 systems on homes with wells.One of them my own.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 22,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by B16bri View Post
Hey guys I'm about to close on a new house and IDE like to install an irrigation system on the property. I sit on 1 acre of land and my entire house water supply is from a private well. So it's obliviously it really important I don't run out of water because than toilets won't work can't shower wash dishes laundry Etc. I unfortunely don't know much on the well I do know it dug down over 300 feet and I believe the water table in my area is kinda high so my question to you guys is is installing an irrigation system on a well possible ? What concerns could I face ? Who was experience with sprinkler systems and wells and how did it turn out
Thanks Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you look at the pressure tank? Some companies will write depth and gpm in magic marker right on the tank. As Jim says , do a pump down test and see what the well is actualy making.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:07 AM
zman9119 zman9119 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northwest of the idiots in the corn and trees (IL)
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
But I have never seen or heard of the reports you guys talk about with well depth, water level, and production rates. I am usually on my own to figure it out.
Here are two examples of what we have to start with from the filing permits that are required. One is more out of date than the other so it has less information but some have everything you need. Personal field tests are always completed too to verify.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf anderson_well-information.pdf (3.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf GPD-GP_well-information.pdf (4.3 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 40,614
I've seen wells that never got close to making the amount of water that was claimed in the documentation. Test the well. Run it for hours.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cactus Hug, Arizona
Posts: 20,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I've seen wells that never got close to making the amount of water that was claimed in the documentation. Test the well. Run it for hours.
All I can add, would be to monitor the recharge, that counts, as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.08391 seconds with 8 queries