Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Best stand on mower

I am interested in buying a new stand on mower, however I have zero experience with these machines. So I would like some help from you guys who have run them. I'm looking to get a 48 or 52 inch deck and I want the best machine for hills. My choices are scag vride, wright stander X, gravely pro stance, and exmark vantage. Which one of these mowers is the best overall machine and for a fair price? I already have a scag TT 61 so I like scag but I am open for opinions because I want the best machine with the best technology to make mowing easier. Any advice is appreciated!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have run wright and v ride.
I am biased toward scag in general.
I believe they give a better cut than wright.
JUST MY OPINION!
No one freak out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All the standers are over priced. None of them will mow steep hills very well. With that being said they are very productive and less fatiguing to operate than sit downs and wbs. The best thing to do is to go out and look at the different brands. They all have there positives and negatives. I looked at many standers with the exception of the Wright. I found the toro/xmark to be the most agile and comfortable to operate. The gravely and scag were great units also just seemed a bit heavier and more cumbersome to run.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
All the standers are over priced. None of them will mow steep hills very well. With that being said they are very productive and less fatiguing to operate than sit downs and wbs. The best thing to do is to go out and look at the different brands. They all have there positives and negatives. I looked at many standers with the exception of the Wright. I found the toro/xmark to be the most agile and comfortable to operate. The gravely and scag were great units also just seemed a bit heavier and more cumbersome to run.
Posted via Mobile Device
Less fatiguing than sit downs? The new standers with the big rear wheels like the BB are supposed to be great on steep hills and you can jump off if need be so you won't get killed if one breaks traction on steep grades.

For doing big areas a 72 ZTR Sit down is way ahead of a stander in comfort and productivity.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Be sure to demo all of them. Their controls work differently from each other and the hydraulics are definitely different. I demoed a Wright and eXmark.

In general, I didn't care for a stander, but, guess one would get used to them. Specifically, I didn't like trying to maintain balance and operate the machine, while trying to mow straight or around things. I'd rather sit and be able to focus on the controls or simply WB a machine and focus. You may feel differently.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you think my scag turf tiger is as good as the standers on hills or are the standers better?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Less fatiguing than sit downs? The new standers with the big rear wheels like the BB are supposed to be great on steep hills and you can jump off if need be so you won't get killed if one breaks traction on steep grades.

Just my personal experience there is no way I could sit on a zt all day. I owned a sit down for a short period of time and dumped it. I had a back injury years ago that makes sitting for periods of time impossible. As for hills that is subjective. We have very steep hills in my area that standers simply cannot be put on. You will tear up a yard going down steep grades.

For doing big areas a 72 ZTR Sit down is way ahead of a stander in comfort and productivity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff11 View Post
Do you think my scag turf tiger is as good as the standers on hills or are the standers better?
I my friend has a tt and I would say a stander might be a touch better but not much. Again what constitutes a hill is personal opinion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A stander in the 48"-52" size is the sweet spot for these mowers. I would just run a 32-36" wb over a similar size stander. The standers over 52" are too big and you might as well get a sit down at that point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the Gravely in a 48-52 inch deck. Those are sweet machines.

For a 60 inch I prefer a ZTR or even a hydro walk behind like an Exmark Turf Tracer. 60 inch standers just do not feel "right" too me.