Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I my friend has a tt and I would say a stander might be a touch better but not much. Again what constitutes a hill is personal opinion
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I live in the Appalachian mountains so the hills here can get steep. This is why I bought my TT because I feel it was the best ztr for hills. I'm looking for a stander so I can mow smaller yards more quickly. I still want to have hillside stability but I don't wanna be pulled around by a walk behind. I just want the best stander for the job
Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff11 View Post
Well I live in the Appalachian mountains so the hills here can get steep. This is why I bought my TT because I feel it was the best ztr for hills. I'm looking for a stander so I can mow smaller yards more quickly. I still want to have hillside stability but I don't wanna be pulled around by a walk behind. I just want the best stander for the job
Go demo a new BB style, they are plain safer on steep grades. My 72 ZTR can do some serious mowing on steep grades but if you break traction and start to slide they can be plain dangerous trying to jump off.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Standers with decks less than 48" are less stable on hills. Smaller tires and narrower track.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a prostance in a 48 and it sucked on hills. I have a 48 Wright RH which is a lot better on hills than the prostance. I had a Wright Z which is a normal sit down mid mount mower like your Scag and it handled hills better than the both of them and my Z master 400. I however, didn't like being trapped under the controls and being I mow around a lot of sea walls solo sometimes I didn't want to chance it.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2013 Pro-Stance and climbing any hill isn't the problem. Going down the hills is where I'm finding it gets a little hairy. Maybe because of the weight?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
I have a 2013 Pro-Stance and climbing any hill isn't the problem. Going down the hills is where I'm finding it gets a little hairy. Maybe because of the weight?
I was only talking about mowing horizontally on hills. Going downhill in any mower sucks if its steep enough. Could add brakes..... I found the gravely always nose dived going across. This is the great dane style prostance.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any experience on the older style, but I can say that I have a decent hill on my property that I traverse without any problem and that was before my new gravely dealer corrected the tracking problem i was having.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an Exmark Vantage 52" with the Kohler EFI. Mows great, clumps a little more than I'd like in wet conditions.

I however would not buy another one. Even though it stripes well and does extremely well on hills (sideways, sticks like glue) the ECS controls are awful. Incredibly slow and squeezing the controls makes your hands strength so strong you could squeeze a pineapple in half.

We're leaning towards Wright for next year.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
We have an Exmark Vantage 52" with the Kohler EFI. Mows great, clumps a little more than I'd like in wet conditions.

I however would not buy another one. Even though it stripes well and does extremely well on hills (sideways, sticks like glue) the ECS controls are awful. Incredibly slow and squeezing the controls makes your hands strength so strong you could squeeze a pineapple in half.

We're leaning towards Wright for next year.
You can get the exmark without ECS controls.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
You can get the exmark without ECS controls.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's true; however the Vantage ground speed is still slow in my opinion.