Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Pull behind mower.

Just curious if anyone has had experience with the Tow Z brand pull behind mower. I have about 12 acres that I mow at my personal residence. Right now I have a Hustler Super Z 72". I'm thinking of getting one of these mowers to pull behind and hopefully reduce my mowing time subtantially. I'm considering the 72" 25HP model. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 1st thought would be could you get both to the exact same height.....if that even matters?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just going by a video i saw, i have no personal experience with that unit. Those thing's are offset and behind you, it would be easy to cause some damage if your not thinking about it. How much do they weigh? I can see it overworking you riding mower quick, real quick if there are any hill's. Just a few thing's to think about.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

While I don't have any hands-on experience with tow behind units, I can offer this story of one of my neighbors (half mile down the road). He has a probably 2 acre yard with at least half being the front: flat, and clear of any obstructions including trees. He initially was mowing it with a small (36"?) MTD/AYP LT, and after a year, moved up to a more substantial, but still homeowner, 42"-48" JD LT. The following year, he added 2 21" homeowner walk-behind mowers (obviously used) in a trailing geese formation, both offset to the same side. (I always wanted to check out his homemade hitch, but never did.) I don't think he even used this setup the entire year before replacing the 21"ers with a single commercial 48" walk behind (again a used unit, Exmark I think). He may have used this for 1.5 seasons before I spotted him zipping back and forth on a brand new Husqvarna MZ (52" or 54"), that he still uses today, now about 4-5 years later. I guess my point here is that I concluded maybe sometimes a tow behind unit is not the best answer.