Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Problems with Stihl Blowers!! Need Advice!

All,

I have two Stihl blowers, models BG 86 and BR 600. Here recently they have not been running as they should. The BR 600 seems to be flooding out when i engage the throttle. At full thottle the engine will die after about 15 seconds. Now the BG 86 is acting the same way. When i apply full throttle the motor only runs about half capacity.

I thought it was the fuel so I emptied both blowers and replaced them with new fuel only to have the same problem. Both fuel filters are clean as well. Do I need to adjust the carb?

Thanks in advance,
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

spark arrestor?

I had a stihl weedeater that did the same thing. I thought for sure it was the fuel filter or carb, but it ended up being a clogged up spark arrestor in the muffler. I took it out and it ran fine.

Some stihls have a screen that you can remove and clean with a wire brush and some carb cleaner, others have a 15mm bolt with a screen attached that screws
into the muffler.

Thats just a guess. Its good maintenance to keep them clean anyway
Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Good deal. I will try it and post my results.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Because its happening on two machines, I agree to check the exports.

Now- I have a BR400 in the shop, won't accelerate past 5000rpm. Spitting back fuel from the intake like crazy, ex port totally clean, fuel litre good. Here's the issue: coil. Top end of two stage coil is out, so it stops revving higher and the carb being fully open is feeding too much fuel, hence the spit. SO- if the ex port is good, maybe take a look.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

He wrote that message 17 days ago and you just replied. What happen is he fixed the problem and forgot to come back on here and say "here is what fixed it"
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, but I had time on my hands and something to share!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCo. View Post
Because its happening on two machines, I agree to check the exports.

Now- I have a BR400 in the shop, won't accelerate past 5000rpm. Spitting back fuel from the intake like crazy, ex port totally clean, fuel litre good. Here's the issue: coil. Top end of two stage coil is out, so it stops revving higher and the carb being fully open is feeding too much fuel, hence the spit. SO- if the ex port is good, maybe take a look.
Good point!!

......AMF!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

My blowers are still not working properly. I did try the spark arrestor and it was fine. My BR600 will now run for about 10-15 min then it starts dying out when i apply the throttle. I will try the other suggestions.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Heres the problem. There are some phenolic shims under the coil hat hold the coil away from the engines. They look like washers I suspect you are missing yours. The engine gets hot and causes the coil to die if those shims under the coil that look like washers are not present.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-Igniti...item2c75cc89bb

its the 2 washer things you need those under the coil with the scres through them
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgollar1 View Post
hello everyone,

my blowers are still not working properly. I did try the spark arrestor and it was fine. My br600 will now run for about 10-15 min then it starts dying out when i apply the throttle. I will try the other suggestions.

Thanks everyone.
from personal experience with stihl blowers, the ethanol in your fuel has made the gaskets in your carb brittle. You need to replace your carb on the bg86 ($30 + labor or replace it yourself). This has fixed all of my blowers and ends up being cheaper than pauing labor costs foe a shop tech to tinkle with it. Good luck with your machines.