Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Protecting your equipment at the house...

I just made an investment of all new equipment which is kept in the garage. I've had some major problems with minorities in the neighborhood once before. Tonight I pulled on the street and noticed a car scoping out our house. When I made that turn they drove off, I turned around, and chased them all the way down to the store where they turned in. Turned out to be one caucasian driving that was missing a leg, claimed it was from a war. His car was full of the minority race, turned out to be the same ones that I had issues with before. Poor minorities sent the little caucasian on a crash dummy mission, when I hopped out of the truck in the cowboy hat, he started shaking like he didn't know what he got himself into. The minority in the front had on black clothing and sunglasses, need I say it was in the middle of the night.

Now I'm not worried about them one bit when I'm here to protect my house and equipment. But it would be greatly appreciated if I could here all the advice in how to secure my equipment in the garage when I'm not home. I don't want to come home to a surprise and be put out of business by some lowlifes, so I want to prevent it before something happens.

I keep the garage locked, and double locked with security padlocks on a bracket. I was thinking about switching the dead bolts on the garage door where you have to unlock them from the inside of the garage. Does this sound like a smart idea even though it would be a hassle? The only thing our garage is used for is storing expensive equipment. I figure when we're not at home I would put the laptops, etc. in there. At least for a few months until I know they're not up to something slick. I also called for extra police patrol in the area, but that fades away over time. Tomorrow I'm installing two cameras, one over the garage/front door area and another where are privacy fence gate is. Our garage door area is protected by large bright motion sensed led's, no one is going up there at night. The security problematic area is the privacy fence gate in the front lawn and the entire front lawn is pitch black at night. Any ideas on locking the garage down as tight as possible fast would be appreciated!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I use cables you can buy at home depot or lowes called krptonite cables then 30. Padlocks I simply cable all equipment together even inside the building and even though I have insurance can afford the down time to replace nor the deductable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
I use cables you can buy at home depot or lowes called krptonite cables then 30. Padlocks I simply cable all equipment together even inside the building and even though I have insurance can afford the down time to replace nor the deductable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you for the great advice! I was headed to big box tomorrow anyways. I had completely forgot about the simple cables they make. I can simply run the cable through my equipment to the the garage sliding door rails. Is there a certain area around my equipment I should go? I got a good spot on the blowers, but as far as the trimmers go, wouldn't they be able to pull the handles off?

Also, I have two dead bolts on my garage door. I was thinking of applying one from the outside in and having one from the inside out? Think that would do the trick if they we're to get in the house? As far as everything in the house I'm protected by my hw insurance. But as far as the garage, if I'm not mistaking detachments from my house are not covered. Business insurance covers my thefts, but as you said with the deductible and down time, I lost just as much.

I'm thinking the cable idea is perfect and possibly also dead bolting the door inside-out, considering I have two. As I mentioned, if they come, their coming from the inside, not the garage. My garage is facing a busy street thats brightly lit my the led's. However, the back yard is dark and the front gate is dark. They would be coming from the inside of the house if something was to happen.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Did some more homework, I forgot all about the Double Cylinder Dead Bolts that require keys on both sides. I'm going to put one of these on the garage/hose door and also on back and front door. (We have doors with windows.) All our windows are brand new double paned with double locks. However, I've always been paranoid someone would just smash, reach in and unlock. Clever idea, I can use the double cylinder dead bolts where you have to use a key on either side to unlock the doors.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassbusterdesigns View Post
Thank you for the great advice! I was headed to big box tomorrow anyways. I had completely forgot about the simple cables they make. I can simply run the cable through my equipment to the the garage sliding door rails. Is there a certain area around my equipment I should go? I got a good spot on the blowers, but as far as the trimmers go, wouldn't they be able to pull the handles off?

Also, I have two dead bolts on my garage door. I was thinking of applying one from the outside in and having one from the inside out? Think that would do the trick if they we're to get in the house? As far as everything in the house I'm protected by my hw insurance. But as far as the garage, if I'm not mistaking detachments from my house are not covered. Business insurance covers my thefts, but as you said with the deductible and down time, I lost just as much.

I'm thinking the cable idea is perfect and possibly also dead bolting the door inside-out, considering I have two. As I mentioned, if they come, their coming from the inside, not the garage. My garage is facing a busy street thats brightly lit my the led's. However, the back yard is dark and the front gate is dark. They would be coming from the inside of the house if something was to happen.
I dont think they would want to take the time to remove trimmer handles most thieves want to be in and out in two minutes. We have double dead bolts on home just need to know where keys are if fire in the night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
I dont think they would want to take the time to remove trimmer handles most thieves want to be in and out in two minutes. We have double dead bolts on home just need to know where keys are if fire in the night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea I wouldn't think so either. I don't they would want to be in there long anyway. We live on a dead end cul de sac. There's a yield sign that goes to the right to go to our cul de sac. They parked pulled in and parked at the yield sign just when I happen to be turning on the very end of our rode behind them. I ran my 4x4 right up to the back of their old buick with my brights on. As soon as I hopped out of the truck they threw it in drive, made the mistake of turning into my cul da sac, and just happen to turn in my driveway and backup. Which leads me to think my property was already on their mind. After I chased them down to the store, it just so happen to be the same one in the passenger seat that I had a run in with just weeks ago that tried to tell me I wasn't allowed to "drive" down my street that I pay taxes on. All this in account, I'm pretty sure their shooting for our house. Just so happen to be the first night I was away from the house in quite a while for extended hours after dark. I work from sun-up to sun-down. When the sun goes down I'm in my house where I belong. It's sad you have to worry about your own house when your not there though. I'm putting up two cameras tomorrow also, along with an ADT sign. My primary concern is the GARAGE. So you think with the garage door secured and a double sided dead bolt, the garage should be secured, or at least the best I can do. And the cable should be extra security to detour time?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.defensedevices.com/safe-room-panic-room.html

also, the couple of shotguns rigged with a trip wire and blanks should leave enough of a puddle with DNA evidence to trace for a B&E.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Get a wireless security system for your house and garage. They have magnetic tabs that when any door is opened the system will tell you what door it was. The main system can be mounted anywhere in the house and when you leave you arm it and if they open the door it gets triggered.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If the main garage door is a roll up style. Put padlocks on the rails so it can't go up. Dead bolts are good only if the door jamb is strong to take a kick for the service door.

Motion lights deter people at night and make neighbors look out their window. A simple motion detector inside the garage attached to a siren would get them running fast.

I would verify the insurance coverage and get coverage if you can.
Posted via Mobile Device