Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just chain/cable all the equipment together. I wouldn't worry about hooking it to part of the garage. If it's all together they couldn't get one without dragging all of it. I'd also invest in a security camera system that has remote viewing capabilities on a smart phone along with emailing you pics when motion is detected.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My stuff is locked onto my trailer, and the trailer has a coupler lock. Also my garage is integrated into my home alarm system. Also I have equipment insurance
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileylawnservice View Post
My stuff is locked onto my trailer, and the trailer has a coupler lock. Also my garage is integrated into my home alarm system. Also I have equipment insurance
Do you lock your safety chains together? I've heard stories from guys who have tongue locks and people have literally hauled off the trailer by hooking to the safety chains and letting the sparks fly.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And if all else fails, make sure you are fully insured for theft loss of your commercial equipment
Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
And if all else fails, make sure you are fully insured for theft loss of your commercial equipment
Just remember if the own a cordless diegrinder with a good metal cutting blade no locks will stop them only slow them down. Its does make insurance happy that we try to protect and keeps average crooks at bay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in a very safe area but still worry about theft. When I built my garage I did not install any windows. The garage
door locks from the inside and the steel man door has dead bolts. Except on occasion you would not even know I run a lawn business out of my house. Everything goes inside every night and I back truck and trailer on the side of the garage. I keep a very low profile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thieves look for easy targets. like Lawnking stated..,,keep a low profile, keep your equipment indoors, place shelves in front of windows and lock your doors/windows. Maintain a good business relationship with your dealer, pay for good insurance and if the worst does happen you should be able to pick right up where you left off.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Next time you ever see that car in the neighborhood, MAKE SURE they see you writing down the license number and description of the car and it's occupants ... it will scare them into the next county if they think they are on the other end of the stick, and have already been noticed. Get as close to them as you dare, and make it obvious what you are doing.

You might even pretend to dial 3 numbers on your phone, then, referring to your notes, give the description to the "other" person on the line ... watch how quickly they get out of there if they're dirty.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just the fact you chased them down to a gas station is probably enough of a diversion for them to move onto the next target. Get the back area lit up.

When I installed my security system, I got quotes from different companies. The sales people these companies send out are full of little tips. Most of them are inexpensive as well.

I stumbled upon one forum when researching that was devoted to shoplifting, B&E, and other illegal acts. One post was about bypassing an ADT system and the guy that posted claimed to be an ex employee. Basically, all you need is a cell phone jammer, and a few other things to get past it.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have the nuts, put a cot and get a cooler, park you normal vehicle at a friends place, stay in the garage. If the perps com blast them. They wont bother you anymore. If a shot gun is too noisey beat the life out of them with a heavy piece of pipe. A good dog may also keep them away, but that's not guaranteed.