Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed trailer help

I am getting ready to order a 7x16 enclosed V nose trailer, pretty well set on H&H as I have dealers close to me and was impressed with the quality vs price point. I can't find any others near me that sell anything worth looking at. A friend has an H&H also and hasn't had any issues with it, its held up really well. couple questions before i order though:

1) Leaf or Torsion? salesman said yesterday alot of people are going back to leafs since drop axles have become more prevalent and they are much cheaper to repair/replace. I did a bit of researching on my own and I think leafs may be the way to go for me. It won't always be loaded properly for what we'll be using it for, both mowing and my wifes furniture business. I am considering adding a partition in the front to use for leaves and stuff in the fall so when thats empty there will obviously be more weight at the back. I like that the leafs keep the weight on both tires equally. anyone have differin opinions feel free to chime in, i'm not dead set on this

2) 3500 or 5200k axles? I doubt i would ever load this thing completely full with enough weight to require 10k, but since i am going to be ordering the price difference is negligible between the two. If i go with leafs, are the 5200k axles going to ride horribly when empty or lightly loaded? Mostly this trailer will see 2 standers, all my handhelds, and the misc. crap we all carry around ''just in case''. Plus leaves and whatever else in fall. I'll use it for other things too as needed but with the 3k axles that only allows roughly 4900 lbs of added weight. Everyone on here says to go bigger axles, which i have no problem with at all, but if its going to make it ride terribly i'm not sure i want to.

3) Outer skin- .023, .030, .040 are the options based on trailer level. how important is this really? the difference between optioning up a lower model and getting the top of the line is about 400 bucks. again i'm fine with spending the extra but if its really just a waste of money then why do it?

Regardless of which model i choose they'll all have 16'' OC roof, walls, floor, 3/4 treated plywood floor, 3/8 walls, fully undercoated body, Line X on tongue and main frame and all the way up rear bulkhead.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

anyone????
Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Sponsor

Leaf springs, 5200 lb axles, skin thickness depends on how long your going to keep the trailer and how hard the wear will be on it, for me I would go with .040
easy-lift guy
Old 11-05-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how long i'll have it truthfully, but i'd like it to have good resale when i do go to sell it. I could manage just fine with an open trailer mowing, but with the wifes business it makes more sense to get an enclosed. and it'll be nice not to have to unload every day after mowing.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an 8x18 H&H enclosed. CA series. Tandem 3500lb axles. I carry a 60" Z, 48 and 36 stand on mowers, plus a few misc items. I have broken 3 leaf springs on the stinking thing. I have now upgraded the springs on my own.

Please do yourself a favor and get the heavier suspension setup. Just do it. ;-)
Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for that, I'll definitely get the heavier 5200# axles. how has the rest of the trailer been for you? i'm looking at the Topline or XL series just since it already has most of the options i'm gonna go for anyway.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Be careful with axle ratings and DOT regulations in your state. In Ohio, any trailer over 10,000# rated capacity requires a class A CDL, and any truck trailer combination over 26,001# requires a CDL as well.

As far as trailers go, Wells Cargo is hands-down the best. We run our mow crews out of 20' Wells Cargo with the landscape package and with torsion axles. Enclosed trailers make it easy to hide poor construction, so take the time to look at the frame, tongue, and wall supports. Another added benefit with Wells Cargo is the 6 year warranty, and when you buy a trailer from an established manufacturer, you know that the company will be around to stand behind their product in the future too.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Well "someone" seems to be on Wells Cargo's payroll. lol. Glad you like the trailer(s), wiselandscaping. :-)

As for my H&H (who has been in the biz for a long time, btw haha), I like it fine. I bought the bottom line one (mistake, yes, but I had no money at the time). Everything else about the trailer is as expected. Door goes up and down. Nothing leaks. IDK what else to say. It has many many miles on it. Can't say that there may not be better trailers out there (IDK), but mine does what I need.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing that stands out right away is the 4" tube frame, on the size you're looking at. That's light, especially on 5200lb axles. Looks like they offer a 6" tube upgrade, but, can't decipher if that's automatic with the axle upgrade. My 7'X12' is on a 6" tube frame, for comparison.

1.) Torsion, for sure. It'll ride much better on the hitch and for your equipment. You must setup your hitch height to pull the trailer level, when loaded. Leaf springs have bushings in the springs and rockers. You're looking at 10 bushings on a tandem and those bushings are directly responsible for toe/alignment of your tires. They do quickly wear out and have to be kept up. Torsion will have better resale to those who know what they're looking at.

2.) I think 4900lb of payload on 3500lb axles is sufficient. There's only so many mowers you can stick in that length. 3 standers is ~1900lbs. Add a ZTR to 2 standers and you're looking at ~2700lbs. However, what would push into 5200lb axles is the 225/75 tires on 6" rims. That'll allow you to upgrade to 10-ply tires, in the future. Some trailers that are sold with 205/75 on 5" rims will not accommodate the bigger size. I don't think you'll notice the ride difference too much, if we're talking torsion. But, it will be more bouncy on your equipment. If you remember from elsewhere, I upgraded to 225/75 on 6" rims, as I sometimes carry both ZTRs and don't want blowout issues.

3.) I have the .040 skin and seamless .040 roof. I would never buy any thinner. That may not seem like a big deal, but, thin sheeting punctures and dings much easier. Look at the nose (up high) of a high-mileage, thin-skin trailer and you'll see the difference.

The Topline has treated floor, the XL doesn't.

The Topline is .040 sides and .030 roof. Be sure that roof is seamless.

Their Topline V-nose pic shows a fiberglass cap. If so, ask about a metal upgrade. Why? When you hit a tree branch, you'll know why. And, that's expensive to replace.

You mentioned 16"O.C., be sure you spec that, as their site shows 24"O.C. It's only a few more crossmembers and the extra support is worth the upcharge.

Be sure to order a steel transition flap over the rear hinge and from the ramp to the ground. This is necessary.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've specd most of the upgrades you mentioned in my pricing quests aside from the transition flaps. Good info. Right now I'm leaning towards the leafs and 5200 axles mainly due to the fact that it won't always be loaded perfectly. I have no wells cargo dealer near me or id look at them.
Posted via Mobile Device