Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too Late for Granulated Broadleaf

I'm up here in Centro Wisco and there is a new area, that could use some cleaning up and loaded with Creeping Charlie...

People are expecting fertilizer is being taken up by the grass,,, so is it likely that the creeping Charlie would still be taking up the herbicides before winter? or even during winter, under the snow???

I think we're done spraying for the season because we aren't likely to reach 50 degrees anymore...
Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in 60 miles north of Milwaukee and spray weeds until the soil temps are 50 degrees and have no weeds the following spring. Fertilizer and herbicides are not the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks,,, maybe I'll go forward with spray, next time the sun comes out...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I meant to say soil temps of 35 degrees. The weeds won't die this fall but they are not there next spring.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm...OK...I have been looking for an idea for a new weed experiment. Can you spray weeds when its cold? More importantly, will the herbicide be effective? And how cold? And which products are most suited to cold weather sprays?
Now I need to find some weeds and a weatherproof way to mark individual weeds for evaluation in the spring. Perennial only, of course.
Violets for sure. Ground ivy--probably not--I must have killed it all last year. Dandelions, oxalis, plantain, clover, poison ivy...whatever I can find. Maybe I can test on winter annuals like chickweed, henbit and clover.

Does anybody care to predict what might happen?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know they will die. I spray using a 3-way with spreader sticker and I see know weeds in the spring. I will let you know the weed situation in the spring the but I have done it this way for years and I see very few weeds in the spring.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
I meant to say soil temps of 35 degrees. The weeds won't die this fall but they are not there next spring.
I'm assuming the 50 degree air temperature for spraying is not a factor,,, from your experience...
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I'm assuming the 50 degree air temperature for spraying is not a factor,,, from your experience...
I did correct myself earlier but my criteria for spraying in late fall in spray until the soil temperature is 35 degrees and you will have great results. I am using an amine 3-way with sticker. Both at the midpoint of the recommended rates.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
I did correct myself earlier but my criteria for spraying in late fall in spray until the soil temperature is 35 degrees ...
Right,,, so from your experience, air temp is less important than soil temp, even when spraying???

I've always followed the adage of spraying only between 50 - 80 degrees air temp...
Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When spraying in the fall my opinion is that soil temp is king. The plant is still respirating at those soil temps, although at an pretty slow rate.