Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

z-spray questions

I'm considering buying a Z-spray or exiting the business, becaue I am having to work to hard. I don't have a machine set up to do dry and liquid together, so I do too much double duty. I have some Z-spray questons please from users. I talked with Tom Rich and he was helpful, but I need some user/operator input please.

Do you spray any of the colored pre-emerges such as Barricade or Pre-M? If yes, is it a stain problem at low liquid rates?

Do you generally spray and spread at the same time? Is this very hard to do. Seems like there would be several switches or whatever to handle all at once.

What do you do when the fertilizer spreader gets clogged. I just pour out my push model back into the bag. What do you do since the unit is mounted to the z-spray.

Is there a screen to keep clumps out of the bottom of the spreader?

How much work is it to change over chemicals?

Does the tank generally drain totally since it empties from the bottom?

Anyone in driving distance from me? I live in north Alabama and would like to see a unit. I tried to call an operator in Nashville to see how they liked their unit and i hopes of seeing one operate. I haven't been successful yet.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. I don't spray pre-emergents. I use granular so I can't advise on the staining. Next season I may run a liquid on the hot spots only ie. around concrete.
2. You can spread & spray at the same time. I don't. My spreader calibrated at 12' at 6MPH. My spray pattern is 10' at 6 MPH. I do spot spray while I spread. If I am going to blanket on rounds 2 & 4 (it usually isn't necessary if you have had the property for a couple of seasons) I will blanket at 90 deg. to the spray tracks so I dont get confused. " Is it hard to spread and spray at the same time?"--if you can drive a car, you can spread and spray at the same time. Second day on it & you will have it down.
3. When it gets clogged (which isn't very often, not at all like the 3 hole spreaders) set a 5 Gal. bucket under it (fits perfect) and open the hopper. Thats also how ya get that last little bit out when your done for the day. No more picking up a spreader full of fert and dumping it. Clogs usually come from leaves or paper from the bags while loading.
4. Yes. There is a screen. It's a split screen and it works well.
5. Changing chemicals is very easy. Just drain into a holding tank or 2.5 jugs.
6. While you can run the tank dry your probably not going to want to unless you are on perfectly level ground. You will find you will start to starve the some of the nozzles at about 1 gal of product in the tank unless you are level or your on a hill favoring the sump.
7. The only complaint your gonna have with the machine is that you didn't buy it sooner.
"But at home one is bound with petty regulations and irksome restraints.....He feels lost even in great crowds, for nothing and no one seem in sympathy. The people he knows may be good fellows, but they do not understand him, and he does not understand them. he longs to get back to the bush, for there he felt an exaltation that no civilized land can possibly supply." -Denis D. Lyell
Old 10-01-2006, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcambrose
I'm considering buying a Z-spray or exiting the business, becaue I am having to work to hard.
A machine makes life easier. If you are looking to solve all the problems of owning a business and having to work hard then don't bother reading the rest of this post b/c this machine will not take the hard work out of owning a business.

Do you spray any of the colored pre-emerges such as Barricade or Pre-M? If yes, is it a stain problem at low liquid rates?
No, I don't b/c they stain everything. You are still spraying "X per 1,000 sqft of product no matter what your water carrier amount is. Therefore, if it stains at 2 gal per 1,000 it will more than likely stain at 1/3 gal per 1,000, maybe more due to the higher concentration

Do you generally spray and spread at the same time? Is this very hard to do. Seems like there would be several switches or whatever to handle all at once.
What is point in having a machine to do both if you don't take advantage of the abilities of the machine. You will get used to the different switches etc

What do you do when the fertilizer spreader gets clogged. I just pour out my push model back into the bag. What do you do since the unit is mounted to the z-spray.
I have yet to have mine get clogged. It is a spyker hopper with one large hole versus the 3 hole system that Lesco employs. Just run it empty every so often to clean the hopper, etc.

Is there a screen to keep clumps out of the bottom of the spreader?
No screen but as above I have not had any problems. Unless you are letting the fert sit for too long and collect moisture this should not be a problemin any spreader.

How much work is it to change over chemicals?
No more than any other spray set-up

Does the tank generally drain totally since it empties from the bottom?
Yes, why would it not drain completely?

Anyone in driving distance from me? I live in north Alabama and would like to see a unit. I tried to call an operator in Nashville to see how they liked their unit and i hopes of seeing one operate. I haven't been successful yet.[/QUOTE]
You can drive here but it will take while

Last edited by turf hokie; 10-01-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy it, and you probably will have create another problem...What to do with all your extra time, and where to spend the extra money That machine is welll built and a joy to use! Oh yeah-being able to talk to the owner of the company directly is a definite benefit!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

tom and his crew bend over backward to help u out i needed some parts for my z pluger and had them the next day thanks guys
Old 10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta chime in here too,

Buy the machine!
You will not regret it.
The z-spray gives an enormous amount of flexibilty that I have not seen on any other machine. (I've had a few!)
Old 10-01-2006, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't spray pre-ems. I do spray and spread at the same time, there really is not that much to handle at the same time to do this. I use the operators foot switch for controlling spraying and basically your hands are right there to open and close the spreader hopper.

Well built machine and has made my life easier than last season without it. I've treated over 2.25 million sq ft of turf this fall and have had calls this weekend to tack on an additional 250,000 sq ft.

I will tell you though applying as I'm sure you know, is just plain ol' sheer work. Sure some machines make life better in that respect, but you will find no magic bullet that takes the work completely out.

Z-Spray is a great machine though, dependable, and efficient. Tom and his crew at L.T. Rich are a class act as well.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the price rage for the z-sprays
Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine was @ $8500 I think. I think they have gone up though. Just call if you want to know.
I will pretty much echo all of the above comments. I do think that there is no single peace of equiptment that will make your life new again. However, my Z has brought new zeal to my work. And put the pep back into my step. I have two herneated discs and was thinking about stopping my applications pursuit. But now I'm back with a vengence!!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about spreading the dry Pre-M. The walk spreader I use gets me just dusty enough to leave some yellow in my truck. The dust mask I use also get a yellow tint as well as my glasses. I assume the z-spray causes the same problems since it is a cyclone type spreader. I really don't like getting the chemical on my clothing. That is why I was asking if anyone put Pre-M down liquid with the z-spray. Any other suggestions such as using a different product that isn't so dusty. I generally use Lesco products.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.