Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower not starting

I have an Exmark Turf Tracer 48" deck. Today as I was mowing, the engine (Kohler Motor 14hp) revved up VERY high then shut off. Now it wont start at all! Any ideas on what could be causing this? Oh and when I pulled the spark plug, it was black and the part that you gap (don't know the name of that part) was all the way closed! Plug is only about 1 1/2 months old. I thought that was odd also.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

If you're running the correct plugs or have a direct replacement you're looking at a complete bottom end rebuild. If the piston is reaching far enough up the cylinder to touch the plugs you need to stop trying to start it and run some tests you might end up having to do a complete rebuild including the top end, but you cant know that until you or a shop gets in there and see's what kind of shape its in.

more than likely you've got main bearings in bad shape on the crankshaft. the bearings could be cupping and allowing the connecting rod, hence piston, to travel that few too many millimeters and touch the spark plug.

I imagine you would have heard some god awful noises also some pinging banging or worse?

Try taking the recoil starter off and rock the engine back and fourth by hand if it's sloppy you'll know its fried.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a feeling the motor might be shot. But thanks for the info. Im going to take it to a shop today.