Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

new engine different solinoid. Wiring?

Exmark Vantage model# VT24KAS524. Serial Number: 881812
Hi, I talked to a exmark tech awhile back before I replaced a engine on this unit. Question: Old engine FS691V, new engine FX691V(D)SOOS, the starter solenoid is different. The new starter has the solenoid on the starter, The old solenoid is on the frame...do I take off old solenoid? How do I wire the new starter wires (green, blue, etc..)? Does anyone have a wire diagram? as I don't want to mess it up. Thx. Bryan
Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ya don't use the old solenoid. Heres what ya need to do:
-The cable from the batt. gets hooked up to the large stud on the new starter, along with any small wires that went with it. The small wire/s feed 12V to the mower harness.
- The small slip-on terminal ( could be a small stud) on the NEW starter is what is used to activate the new starter/solenoid so....
- If the OLD solenoid had only one small stud,/wire, that wire would go to the new starter slip-on terminal. Yer done.
- But... If the OLD solenoid had TWO small studs with wires attached, ( likely) it gets a little complicated:
- One of the small wires is hot/activated when the key is turned to start.
-The other wire goes to ground THRU the various safety switches.
-So in order for the safeties to work ya need to wire in a relay such as this:http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Pro...s/430300/56879, the relay has five slip-on terminals numbered 85, 86, 87, 87A, and 30.
- Mount the relay as close to the new starter as possible.
-Using yer test light, determine which of the small wires from yer old sol. is hot when ya hit the start switch, that wire will go to # 30.
-Then run a wire from #87 to the new starter slip-on term.
-Run a wire from the big bat. stud on the starter to #85. If the wire is short, no need for a fuse, which is why ya wanna mount the relay close.
-Finally, hook up the other small wire( from the old solenoid) to #86.

'Course if yer house has more wheels than yer truck...
" Old age ain't for sissies "
......AMF!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Alright, I just looked up yer wiring diagram. Seems yer OLD solenoid does indeed use the two wire system, but uses a module also, so....
The blue wire from the old solenoid gets hooked to relay term. #85
The green wire from the old solenoid gets hooked up to relay #86
Run a jumper from #86 to #30.
Run a wire from #87 to the new starter small slip-on.

It needs to be wired like this, 'cause the old solenoids green wire goes to ground THRU a control module rather than mechanical safety switches.

The wiring diagram is in yer owners manual, or download one from the Exmark site.

......AMF!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Also, do not run a wire from the big (bat.) stud on the new starter to # 85 !
No need to mount the relay close to the new starter, either. Just mount it where the old solenoid was. (Should make it easier to hook up the blue and green wires.)

So, the cable from the battery, and the small feed wire, still gets hooked up to the large stud on the new starter/solenoid.
Then follow the directions in my post #3. Simple ,huh?

My post #2 would work on most any older machines without a module.

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 01-23-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Solenoid wiring

Thanks Bigfish for your replies...I'll get the relay ordered thru Jacks, have ordered thru them before. I figured this wouldn't be an easy one..wonder why the tech from exmark didn't tell from the start when they recommended this engine..oh well, On another note... do you know anyone that rebuilds these size engines? would it be worth it in your opinion. I go thru them here in FL with the dry grass an dust even though we maint them aggressively. (that's why I've gone with the HD air cleaners). Thx
Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Alright, I just looked up yer wiring diagram. Seems yer OLD solenoid does indeed use the two wire system, but uses a module also, so....
The blue wire from the old solenoid gets hooked to relay term. #85
The green wire from the old solenoid gets hooked up to relay #86
Run a jumper from #86 to #30.
Run a wire from #87 to the new starter small slip-on.

It needs to be wired like this, 'cause the old solenoids green wire goes to ground THRU a control module rather than mechanical safety switches.

The wiring diagram is in yer owners manual, or download one from the Exmark site.
Wrong numbers! Run the jumper from #85 to #30.

Here's a pic of how the cube relay is set up internally:
Name:  ISO_Relay_Fig_11-9.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  30.2 KB

......AMF!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

So it works like this: you hit the start switch, that sends 12V thru the blue wire to energize the relay at #85. The relay needs a ground to operate, so it gets the ground thru your green wire( if the safety and module are satisfied) at #86. The jumper from #85 to #30 feeds 12V to the relay COMMON terminal,( #30) which, when energized, turns #87 hot. Then the juice goes to the new starter's built in solenoid via the wire from #87 to the small terminal on the new starter.
(I tried to add this description to the above post, but the edit timed out.)

......AMF!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru-Cut USA View Post
On another note... do you know anyone that rebuilds these size engines? would it be worth it in your opinion.
There's a couple members on here that live near Tampa area, PistonSlapper is one.
Other than that, I would check yer local Craigslist or mayhaps one of the FL members might know of someone.

......AMF!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Sponsor

Tru-Cut,

Sorry the tech (likely could’ve been me) overlooked the difference in the starters when recommending a replacement engine…it’s easy to forget that the FS has the bendix starter (needs solenoid) while the FX has the HD Shift Solenoid Starter (doesn’t need external solenoid).

What BigFish wrote is spot on (with his correction of jumping the 85 terminal to 30).

There is a little easier way (at least to me) than wiring in a relay however, you can simply use the solenoid…a solenoid is really just a heavy-duty relay.

Please see attached.

What you’ll do is leave the current solenoid hooked up as is. But, remove the main red wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter and replace it with a wire that goes from the solenoid to the exciter on the new starter (14 or 16 ga should be sufficient). So it will have a ring terminal on one end (to solenoid), and a flag terminal on the other (to starter exciter).

Now, make a wire to go from the positive battery post to the B+ terminal on the new starter. NOTE: Leave the main cable from the battery to the B+ side of the original solenoid, so you’ll have two main cables coming off of the positive post on the battery.

Either way will work, I just know it gets confusing for many when they’re looking at wiring up a relay connector. Relays are easy to find, sometimes it’s more difficult to find the connector unless you want to buy a bulk quantity or have an old machine to steal one off of.

I hope this helps. Call us at 402-223-6375 if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Lenny
Exmark Technical Service
Attached Images
File Type: pdf wiring.pdf (130.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Exmark PR; 01-23-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the info and pictures. We were lost on this one. Will implement the info and get it to working. Will write back when we got it going...Thanks again.