Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2008, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat 371

I have a Bobcat 371 I just picked up with a 20HP kohler installed and the steering is unresponsive. I don't believe the steering is hydraulic and I ithink it's a clutch type. Is there alot of work in rebuilding the steering to get more performance?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fortunately, I've never had to take my Bobcat 310 apart, but I've read the service manual. There are tons of gears and chains inside one of these. A plate in front of the seat will open her up. You can adjust the clutches, however, from the outside--the owner's manual has a description. There are a couple of bolts on each side of the machine; the levers are supposed to move a couple of inches before engaging the clutch. You can also tighten the drive chains from the outside--with both wheels (on the left or right) off the ground, the play between tires should be only a couple inches.

Before you do too much, make sure the drive belt(s) are not slipping and engine pto electric clutches (if it is a two speed) are in good condition.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Blue,

I really appreciate your input. I've been looking to get my hands on a manual. I'm not sure what year this machine is even. It's in awsome shape except for the speed and the steering slop. How bout your machine? Has it been an asset for you?

Thanks again for your response
Old 04-02-2008, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

According to Bobcat's website (http://www.bobcat.com/historical_specs/skid_steer), the 371 began production in 1971. It probably ceased production about 1977, when the 310 came out (which had very similar specs to the 371--just under 1 ton, 14-16 hp, lift 500 lbs, about 36" wide--http://www.bobcat.com/historical_spe...teer/m371_1971). I have not used mine much commercially--I bought it for private project. It is a bit light for digging, but can move material around fairly well. I envy you your 20 hp kohler--the 16 hp on mine is adequate, but it bogs if you load the hydraulics and try to make a sharp turn at the same time. Mine came with the owner's manual, and I found a service manual on ebay. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Blue,

Does your 371 move about the speed of a garden tractor?

I'm trying to find a service dealer close by in illinois and get the steering professionally looked at. Will take your advice and stay out of the chain case.

Thanks for your response
Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are comforable taking, say, a car's manual transmission apart, then the bobcat probably wouldn't be too bad. It has larger parts. I'd take mine apart if it broke; I'm not looking forward to it, however. Here's what's inside of mine; your older one might be a little different. This is ones side. There are three chains per side, and two clutches. I would recommend getting a service manual before I took one apart.

My 310 has two speeds selected by two electric cluches with different sized pulleys. In low gear, it is pretty slow (spec: 2.5 mph), in high gear, not so slow (4.9 mph), but high gear is kinda high for the engine. It is good for mud, though. Does your's drive straight?
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Blue,

That's awsome you went through the trouble of scanning the diagram. THANK YOU. I don't see an adjustment that I would make for the steering though. My machine drives real straight, It's the turning left that is poor. If I press hard on the levers it will work.

I have very wet ground here from the winter and it's hard for me to tell. Do these little 371's leave much of a rut in normal dry grass situations?

Do you have a cage for yours or is it exposed? Wonder how tippy these things are? Thanks for your responses!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is not very kind to grass. On really dry turf, it will sink minimally when traveling straight--any turns will tear the turf. It has the 5.7" wide chevron tires--8.5" wide "floatation" tires were optional. They might be easier on turf. When I was shopping for a loader, I saw one with different wheels and 24x12x12 turf tires on it. This made the loader a bit wider, as well as probably making it kinder on turf.
Mine has a roll cage. It is a 1986, and I think they were standard by then. It would be rather dangerous without the side screens--the cockpit is so small, it would be easy to accidentally stick your elbow out have it crushed by the hydraulics.
With the bucket low, it is surprisingly stable side to side. It doesn't feel very stable, though. The front end is very light, however, and with an empty bucket, the front end will pop up when going over a curb. I dropped the bucket once, to put teeth on it, and it was very unstable with no bucket.
The clutches are well adjusted if the levers engage between 2 and 3" from center. Here's the picks. The adjustment bolts on my 310 actually look a little different.
It sound's like one of your clutches needs repair, however.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Blue,

Thanks to you I found the adjusters on my machine like your diagram shows. I hope to play around with it a bit tomorrow. Thanks again. I'm learning how to navigate the machine with the turning slop and the speed is getting to be less of an issue for me. I actually had good success digging today and I dont have a tooth blade so I was pretty happy.

Have a great weekend my friend
Old 01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Olde Blue,
You obviously know a lot about the skid steers and are willing to help others. Can a 371 be adapted to accept hydraulic attachments? If so, how?
Thanks,
adgaryc