Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

CRAZY! KR Bluestem!!

I am just throwing this out to see if anyone has an anecdotal "potion" to control King Ranch Bluestem effectively. I have tons of new customers and I can't mix enough glyphosate and kill enough "lawns" to keep up. Any ideas suggestions and comments are appreciated. And I thought Dallisgrass was tough but this stuff has been a beating for years.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

This was floated as an option when I was researching this grassy weed over a year ago, Celsius+Revolver, followed by Revolver+Image 70DG.
I didn't try this since just about the time that I successfully identified this weed the customer jumped ship. From what I read Glyphosate or MSMA (not legal unless you have it sitting around from back in the day) are your only options.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good ole King Rach Bluestem LOL

Just keep it mowed this time of year or hit it with Celcius with with MSO. When it wakes up next year Image and Celcius will be your friends. I personally do not bother with the Revolver [price] unless I need it for other stuff.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post

Just keep it mowed this time of year or hit it with Celcius with with MSO. When it wakes up next year Image and Celcius will be your friends. I personally do not bother with the Revolver [price] unless I need it for other stuff.
Will the use of MSO with celcius burn either st augustine or bermuda? Those seed stems are killing us we should be going ti bi-weekly but can't
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where can I get mso? Did search not much coming up.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I buy it by the 5 gal case through BWI Company. I've also seen it in smaller quantities at Ewing. Not sure if you have either one of those around.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Will the use of MSO with celcius burn either st augustine or bermuda? Those seed stems are killing us we should be going ti bi-weekly but can't
Not if it is well fertilized and on ET replacement levels of irrigation. If the lawn is on an arbitrary irrigation schedule determined by someone without an agronomic or horticultural background like a water company pencilneck, then you are safest painting each clump with RoundUp. Selectives don't work for beans on starved/dried out lawns and weeds. Too much risk of injury to the lawn and mediocre control of the target weeds.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-12-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post

Only reason why I have Revolver in my lockbox is the horrible amount of goosegrass all over this state.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Not if it is well fertilized and on ET replacement levels of irrigation. If the lawn is on an arbitrary irrigation schedule determined by someone without an agronomic or horticultural background like a water company pencilneck, then you are safest painting each clump with RoundUp. Selectives don't work for beans on starved/dried out lawns and weeds. Too much risk of injury to the lawn and mediocre control of the target weeds.
We water once a week on the day and hour that city allows. TRU GREEN did one treatment in the spring, including herb, fertilize, and pre-m. The budget for the property don't allow for their six treatments. And this Kingranch is green, at least.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, my eyes! Trugreen doing the spraying explains a lot. Celsius is one of the less expensive new herbicides. But it is kind of picky about how it is applied. If my spray truck is parked in front of a property and it is mine to maintain, an area full of KR bluestem, would not remain as such for long. I am dealing with a home at a corner of a fairly busy street. Yuck! There is goosegrasss, carpet grass and love grass everywhere in what I intend to maintain as reel mowed bermuda. Revolver + Celsius check.