Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

to clarify what my relationship would be to these folks - I aggressively market my design and project management services to homeowners in my area. So these design-build companies aren't looking to sub that to me; what they want is for me to do the work of acquiring my client, taking them all the way through the design process, and turn the client over to them in exchange for a couple hundred bucks "finder's fee." It's an awesome deal for them. And because they have their own staff designer(s), I get precisely zero referrals coming the other way. So I come into these conversations extremely skeptical and maybe (on a bad day) extremely blunt.

For lawncare companies, I feel like a stock photo of green grass is fine until you can get some nice shots of your own work. But it's cut grass. That's way different from a gunite pool with a flagstone deck and crazy waterfalls spilling into it that you're passing off as your own
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
For lawncare companies, I feel like a stock photo of green grass is fine until you can get some nice shots of your own work. But it's cut grass. That's way different from a gunite pool with a flagstone deck and crazy waterfalls spilling into it that you're passing off as your own
Bingo.

Good topic you brought up, PaperCutter.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably tell them, nicely, to come back when they have a portfolio of their own work to show you and your clients.

And really, just a small "finders fee"? DM me and I will tell you what our designers get when we do one of there jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The topic seemed timely

And headz, I would never accept something that low because even with my trusted team of installers I'm on site throughout the build and fielding calls and emails from the client. I'm not giving up compensation for all that time so I can throw some random mope a bone.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
The topic seemed timely

And headz, I would never accept something that low because even with my trusted team of installers I'm on site throughout the build and fielding calls and emails from the client. I'm not giving up compensation for all that time so I can throw some random mope a bone.
I misread his proposition as your actual way of doing things. Glad I was wrong :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
I misread his proposition as your actual way of doing things. Glad I was wrong :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
As a designer, I'm a ho. But I'm a high-dollar ho.