Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Whats Holding You Back From Growing Your Business?
Lack of Good Labor 3 20.00%
Not Enough Sales 5 33.33%
Cash Flow 4 26.67%
No Direction or Plan 1 6.67%
No Key Support Staff 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

What you say about building wealth is true and a good point. As for growing your business, I think it is all about each business owners wants, needs and goals. There are very successful business owners in every level of the business ladder, some are perfectly happy where they are and some want to grow and get bigger and thats whats great about having your own business, you can control the trajectory of your company, not anyone else. As long as you are happy with the results it doesn't matter what size you are.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Steve I'm sure you know a lot about the industry, but I would say that the biggest thing holding most people back is a total system as talked about in the Gerber books. I've been on LS for about two years now and I've read the same problems over and over and it always comes back to NO SYSTEMS in place, for anyone looking to grow a business you've got to put a total system in place.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

cpllawncare makes an excellent point. You can see it every day on this site if you read through posts. Every book and magazine article you read talks about developing systems to run the business yet every day there are posts here about failures that can be traced back to a lack of systems. On the flip side read through the posts on here by the bigger companies, Pro-turf and ETW are the biggest two that come to mind and read their threads, it's about systems.

As a reader of Turf magazine I think you would be far and above the most cited column if you discussed developing a growth strategy, how to develop management systems and what to focus on for those systems and maybe a piece on the hiring process and how to truly find and retain quality help. Those are the most frequent problems I read about other businesses having.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have read quite a few business books over the years and articles in magazines etc. One thing they all have in common is they all generalize. None actually give specifics or any real practical information.

You can read the E myth or similar type books that contain a bunch of fluff and motivation and Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah. But in the end you are no better off then when you started. You might get one nugget of good useful information out of one book. The rest is fluff, and feel good bull crap.

What good is a book or article in a magazine that does nothing but tell you what you should be doing without telling you how to go about doing it. Most will tease you will little facts just so you can pay for the actual processes and systems needed in order to be successful. Then if you do pay, some will give you information that should be common sense or are so full of crap its pathetic. Can you say Fix your business on the toilet?

Just because someone has been in business and claims to have been successful doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. There is an old saying.....Those who can do....Those who can't teach.

This site would do wonders for people in the industry if they had a section for business owners that had actual good useful information posted by a consultant with an intelligent back and forth. Most of the information on here is misinformation and questions that never really get answered. If you want a place to come and shoot the bull and get some generalities then this is the place. If you come here to learn about systems and business....well you have come to the wrong place.

If you want my attention don't tell me generalities....show me something.

Dave...
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I saw a thread one time on here that kinda summed up everybody, it ask something like "What questions should I be asking?"
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heres one of the all time best threads ever on LS.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...succeed+procut
Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
cpllawncare makes an excellent point. You can see it every day on this site if you read through posts. Every book and magazine article you read talks about developing systems to run the business yet every day there are posts here about failures that can be traced back to a lack of systems. On the flip side read through the posts on here by the bigger companies, Pro-turf and ETW are the biggest two that come to mind and read their threads, it's about systems.

As a reader of Turf magazine I think you would be far and above the most cited column if you discussed developing a growth strategy, how to develop management systems and what to focus on for those systems and maybe a piece on the hiring process and how to truly find and retain quality help. Those are the most frequent problems I read about other businesses having.
Those are some great points and being new to this site I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a System we came up with:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...1&d=1384390536
We bought this used mannequin for $25.00 and dressed him in our uniform, then labeled everything we expect our crews to be wearing on a daily basis. This picture is taken from a powerpoint presentation we put together for training our new employees. I know it might be a bit goofy but it's effective and he scares the crap out of people who walk into our offices!
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Heres one of the all time best threads ever on LS.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...succeed+procut
I've reread that thread a hundred times, and there are all kinda problems with it. I could post a whole thread on why that happened to pro cut. It shows what happens when you don't know what your doing.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 11-13-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I've reread that thread a hundred times, and there are all kinda problems with it. I could post a whole thread on why that happened to pro cut. It shows what happens when you don't know what your doing.
Yes I read it too and it is a sad story, but also something that people starting a landscape company can learn from. However I also think that people who want to grow their business should not be scared off by a post like that. In any business there are peaks and valleys and you have to know how to navigate them when the time comes. There are quite a lot of resources out there for people in our industry: The PLANET GIC is the best trade show with seminars in our industry.If you are running a landscape company then you should attend this event every year. There are other resources as well but PLANET is where the best and brightest learn from. As business owners it is important to take time out to learn and keep ahead of the trends or you can end up out of business.