Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Whats Holding You Back From Growing Your Business?
Lack of Good Labor 3 20.00%
Not Enough Sales 5 33.33%
Cash Flow 4 26.67%
No Direction or Plan 1 6.67%
No Key Support Staff 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Very good points^^^^^^^.. Everybody always talks about Procut's story this and Procut's story that.... It is really simply folks.... What happened is exactly as was stated above by 32vld... No hidden problems, no behind the scenes drama.. I mean, this is one of the first things we learn when learning to manage money... An emergency fund. If Procut had 100k under his mattress then that thread would never exist...(of course that is simplifying it but you get my drift)
And coolluv.... Why don't you try asking Donald Trump, Or maybe Mark Cuban exactly how they came up through the ranks and exactly what their systems are. Do you honestly believe that ANY successful person is just going to tell you step by step exactly how to be successful? Either in a book, at a seminar, or on a website? Get real! You are correct in one aspect though... in one whole book you might get a nugget, but in 20 books, you get 20 nuggets. There is no easy way to do it bud and don't think for a second that somebody is going to do it for you because that is how a sucker thinks.....
Don't put words in my mouth. Thats not what I meant. I get tired of these supposed business books that tell me nothing.

I don't need to be spoon fed so don't act like I said that.

Dave...
Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I would love to know more about the EB-4 program... We all know that one of the major problems facing owners today is employment.(actually, lack there of..) Between the video game/computer generation showing absolutely no interest in working hard and slim margins dictating a smaller hourly wage, us owners are left with slim pickings to say the least. I recently left the Greater Boston market and many of my friends who are also business owners have turned to the EB-4 and it is working wonders for them... Of course not every LCO is doing it legally and I have even heard rumblings that the program is slated for review and perhaps shut down. Either way, I believe this would be a great topic to dedicate some real estate to in your book....
I use the H2-B program and have used it for over 10 years now. It is a great program but considering it is a government program there are always issues and the possibility of not getting your workers every year is a reality of being in the program. I have traveled to Washington D.C. many times in the past 10 years along with many other landscape company owners from all over the country to try to educate our politicians on the merits of this program. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
How to make employee handbooks, how to properly set up systems and checks and balances, how to do overhead recovery and set up pricing better
I am definitely going to cover systems and hopefully I will have a link that will give my readers access to all kinds of things like job descriptions, organizational charts and other systems that you can use in your business. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Basically anything that helps get me off my knees laying brick and out selling more, building the business towards an autonomous machine that an owner can step away from for a day, week, month, and eventually sell or pass on.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave,
Fair enough.... After re-reading my post there I realize I came off a bit harsh on what you said.... There is for sure a bunch of junk out there that people are trying to sell to make a buck... I just look at it like a kind of puzzle.... A little tidbit from this guy's book, a little tidbit from that guys seminar at GIE, and Wow, I am starting to put together a picture of which direction I want to head in.... But you are correct sir in calling me out and I apologize....
Old 12-14-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody has been to "Steve's Place" in a little while..... How is the book coming?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Steve. I am looking to expand my knowledge and was not able to attend the PLANET GIC event, but have some free time available now. What else would you recommend. I am looking for landscape/lawn care education classes. I just finished attending the NJ Green Expo that dealt primarily with pesticide CEU classes, that I needed to keep up with new products and research & to maintain my NJ pesticide applicators license. I am considering going to CENTS and/or New England Grows. If anyone else is familiar with either of these shows or knows of others I appreciate your input also. I will probably go to MANTS, but they do not offer education classes there. I think there are some hardscaping shows that also have business education classes. I am looking to go in December, January, or March. The closer to New Jersey & Philadelphia the better, but if I have to fly & stay overnight that is not a problem.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Nobody has been to "Steve's Place" in a little while..... How is the book coming?
Hi Armsden & Son, I just took a few weeks off with the holidays so I haven't kept up so much with posting here. The book is coming along and I am currently working on a chapter called "Hiring a Key Player" which discuses when, why and how to go about hiring someone who can be a key part of your business and take some things off your plate so as an owner you can focus more on helping grow the company. Thoughts??
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
Hello Steve. I am looking to expand my knowledge and was not able to attend the PLANET GIC event, but have some free time available now. What else would you recommend. I am looking for landscape/lawn care education classes. I just finished attending the NJ Green Expo that dealt primarily with pesticide CEU classes, that I needed to keep up with new products and research & to maintain my NJ pesticide applicators license. I am considering going to CENTS and/or New England Grows. If anyone else is familiar with either of these shows or knows of others I appreciate your input also. I will probably go to MANTS, but they do not offer education classes there. I think there are some hardscaping shows that also have business education classes. I am looking to go in December, January, or March. The closer to New Jersey & Philadelphia the better, but if I have to fly & stay overnight that is not a problem.
Hi OQUEOQUE, sorry about the delayed response, took some time off for the holidays. I have been going to CENTS for 20 years now and there are always some good educational seminars & classes there. I would recommend checking out their web site here http://centsmarketplace.com/educatio...n-at-a-glance/ and you can download the education PDF to see whats offered. If you are planning to go I would recommend booking your hotel room ASAP as they were filling up two weeks ago when I booked mine. I also recommend staying for the two nights and doing as much networking as possible. I will be there and would be happy to meet with anyone who is interested to just talk shop and share ideas. Let me know.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribing. Can't wait to get the book when it comes out. As many others said, the more info on system implementation the better.

As for the guy saying the books are "nothing but fluff", must not believe in the belief that Tony Bass describes as abundance not scarcity.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.