Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Whats Holding You Back From Growing Your Business?
Lack of Good Labor 3 20.00%
Not Enough Sales 5 33.33%
Cash Flow 4 26.67%
No Direction or Plan 1 6.67%
No Key Support Staff 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2014, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

subscribed. Sound like it could be a good book.
Stihl KM-130R + attachments
Stihl MS 362 chainsaw
Shindaiwa DH-254 hedgetrimmer
Shindaiwa 242 string trimmer
JRCO leaf plow
JRCO dethatcher
Husqvarna 580BFS blowers
Fradan Power 18hp truckloader
accelerator large bagger
5x12 trailer with custom-made high sides and racks
Kobalt shovels, rakes, hand tools, power tools, and everything else!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the subscribe's guys! I will try to post updates on my book here for people who subscribe. Kind of a sneak peek into what I will be writing about. In the meantime you can read my latest turf article here http://www.turfmagazine.com/article-10241.aspx
Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Subscribing. Can't wait to get the book when it comes out. As many others said, the more info on system implementation the better.

As for the guy saying the books are "nothing but fluff", must not believe in the belief that Tony Bass describes as abundance not scarcity.
Good points, Thanks!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveiiturf View Post
Good points, Thanks!
Now that I went to your newest article I figured out who you were. I read just about every one of your articles in Turf, you definitely offer great insight! Especially for a young contractor such as myself.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Now that I went to your newest article I figured out who you were. I read just about every one of your articles in Turf, you definitely offer great insight! Especially for a young contractor such as myself.
Thanks JContracting I really appreciate the feedback on my column and I'm glad you like it.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

An Excerpt From My Book

As I mentioned before in this forum, I am currently working on a book geared toward the landscape company owner who is grossing $1 million or less in sales. So that is anyone from a start up to a bigger company trying to get to the first million in sales. I promised that I would post updates on my book so here is an excerpt from the introduction called "The Why"

First “The Why”

Why do you want to grow your company? You have to answer that question before you go any further in reading this book. Here are a few reasons as to why you should be thinking about growing your landscape business:

You want to make more money
You want your employees to have an opportunity to advance in your company
You want to build something of value because someday you may want to to sell your company
Because growing is exciting and not growing leads to stagnation

There are many reasons that we want to grow our companies, but the bottom line is that you must have a reason because without a reason you will have no motivation and without motivation you will not grow. Period.

Think about your reason. What is your answer to “the why?”

I’ll share mine:

Because I enjoy the game of business and I enjoy working with really smart and driven people. I know that in order to have really smart and driven people working at my company I have to grow because really smart and driven people don't want to work somewhere that is not going to give them opportunity for growth within the company and personal development as well.

As for the game of business part, well lets just say that I like a challenge. I don't like complacency and I certainly don't want to watch my competition grow while I sit on the sidelines. I also truly believe that growth is good, and the more you grow the more you can fulfill not only your personal dreams and goals but you can help other people achieve theirs as well.

So there you have it, let me know your thoughts. I will post more updates in the future.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks so much for the tid bit from the book Steve! I really look forward to reading it as I really think you have a unique way of looking at and explaining things... Can I ask you a question? Why is your company named South West with you guys being in Ohio and everything?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Thanks so much for the tid bit from the book Steve! I really look forward to reading it as I really think you have a unique way of looking at and explaining things... Can I ask you a question? Why is your company named South West with you guys being in Ohio and everything?
Good question, when we started the company we were servicing the south west suburbs of Cleveland. Now of course our service area is a bit bigger. But the name stuck and it seems to work, even though some people think we are affiliated with Southwest Airlines!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveiiturf View Post
Good question, when we started the company we were servicing the south west suburbs of Cleveland. Now of course our service area is a bit bigger. But the name stuck and it seems to work, even though some people think we are affiliated with Southwest Airlines!
Do you get calls from people wanting to use their frequent flyer miles to purchase your services?
Old 01-11-2014, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting, I always like to know how company names came about... I personally always wanted to go with a more traditional family name route... I own Armsden Landscaping. However, It was a tough decision for me. I have a lot of respect and I also admire companies with names like yours. There is a company in my area with the name "Early Riser." I also like that one as well..

I was wondering if you could elaborate for some of us here on how you came to be a Landscape management company? Not sure if you are familiar with Earth, Turf, and Wood out of Pennsylvania? The owner Jarod has a very popular and well respected thread here on L.S. He is always talking about doing 1 thing and doing it really well and I noticed that you seem to subscribe to this particular business model as well. Is this deliberate? (I assume it is) Or, do you just not have as much experience in the other hardscaping/landscaping areas? I am a true "mowerhead" at heart and maintenance is what I have primarily done for the last 18 years so I believe that I cannot only do it well but also be innovative in my approach. However, last season I found myself doing almost everything! I was doing landscaping installs, some patios, and even a driveway!

I just feel like if people ask me to do these things and I refuse because I am a maintenance company, I will be leaving money on the table.... I know that you head a very reputable, profitable, and respectable business and you must have and still do deal with this issue..... What are your thoughts?