Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Whats Holding You Back From Growing Your Business?
Lack of Good Labor 3 20.00%
Not Enough Sales 5 33.33%
Cash Flow 4 26.67%
No Direction or Plan 1 6.67%
No Key Support Staff 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow!

Sorry to double up posts on you Steve but I just read your new column fresh off the press and it's AWESOME!

You have some great insight and I am also a huge fan of quotes, they put a lot into perspective.

But the quote from Baba O'Riley???? Let me just say that I literally can not believe that you put this in the article. I swear on the bible that I have ALWAYS likened that quote to landscaping/lawncare. A really good friend of mine has always been into classic rock and had given me a mix tape (yes, cassette tape) of classic rock songs during my senior year of high school. (1999) That tape came to work with me and was played in whatever truck I was working out of until all the trucks with the cassette players got phased out. I used to tell my Boss or my co-workers, or anybody that would listen to me that the line that you quoted was written for us!

Just wanted to tell you how happy that made me to read that... To know that somebody else deciphered those lyrics the same way I did is truly priceless.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Wow!

Sorry to double up posts on you Steve but I just read your new column fresh off the press and it's AWESOME!

You have some great insight and I am also a huge fan of quotes, they put a lot into perspective.

But the quote from Baba O'Riley???? Let me just say that I literally can not believe that you put this in the article. I swear on the bible that I have ALWAYS likened that quote to landscaping/lawncare. A really good friend of mine has always been into classic rock and had given me a mix tape (yes, cassette tape) of classic rock songs during my senior year of high school. (1999) That tape came to work with me and was played in whatever truck I was working out of until all the trucks with the cassette players got phased out. I used to tell my Boss or my co-workers, or anybody that would listen to me that the line that you quoted was written for us!

Just wanted to tell you how happy that made me to read that... To know that somebody else deciphered those lyrics the same way I did is truly priceless.
Thanks for reading my article! I have also always equated Baba O'Riley's opening lyrics with hard working people and it just seems like a great anthem for the landscape business, (okay maybe not the part about "teenage wasteland") but you know what I'm talking about. I love hearing from people who read my articles it really makes my day when I connect with someone through my writing. Anyway thanks again Armsden & Son.

Anyone else who wants to read my article in Turf you can check it out here:http://www.turfmagazine.com/article-10331.aspx
Old 01-29-2014, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

So we are now approaching the end of January. What are your plans for 2014? Do you have some goals and timelines to achieve them?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

very good quotes in your articles!!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been mainly working on putting efficiency systems in place this year, looking back at last year we did a lot right, but left a lot of money on the table by not being efficient.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearski View Post
very good quotes in your articles!!
Thanks for reading my article bearski!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for asking Steve.

The big goal for 2014 is marketing, marketing, marketing.

As you know, last year was my first year in business. That, coupled with the fact that I got a late start (May) made last season challenging. I still managed to attain 7 clients for weekly maintenance but my goal is to quadruple that number by the end of April!!!

I have a 3 stage marketing campaign planned that includes door hangers, news paper ads, and craigslist (craigslist is actually ok in my area) And obviously the normal lettered truck and trailer, business cards, going out an meeting people and spreading the word...

I am so excited for the challenge and literally can't wait for this snow to melt!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I also cannot wait for the snow to melt, however it's going to be a long time before we see turf & landscapes, over a 3' snowpack here.

My ultimate goal for this year is to go from basically solo except help on larger installs & clean ups to purchase a dump trailer, get a 2 man maint crew busy 40 hrs per week, hopefully one of them will be a licensed applicator & can do the fert/weed control once I set up a sprayer then a second truck to work as part of design/install crew that I'll work on with 1-2 other guys full time and eventually get out of the field next year or even this year if possible. I also plan to purchase a brand new Boss 8'2" VXT & possibly another depending on how many new snow accounts I obtain. I plan to do a TON of marketing to make this happen. Increasing efficiency systems will be implemented as well. Ill also have to write an employee handbook. I'm working on my pricing & estimating system as well, since there's no snow in the forecast next week, I should be able to get that done and set in stone.

Another goal is to re-read E-Myth & Green Side Up and order & read "Be the Best at What Matters" before spring arrives.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Thanks for asking Steve.

The big goal for 2014 is marketing, marketing, marketing.

As you know, last year was my first year in business. That, coupled with the fact that I got a late start (May) made last season challenging. I still managed to attain 7 clients for weekly maintenance but my goal is to quadruple that number by the end of April!!!

I have a 3 stage marketing campaign planned that includes door hangers, news paper ads, and craigslist (craigslist is actually ok in my area) And obviously the normal lettered truck and trailer, business cards, going out an meeting people and spreading the word...

I am so excited for the challenge and literally can't wait for this snow to melt!
That sounds like a good plan, specially since you are in your second year of business. The whole marketing and sales plan is something you will have to do long term so I suggest that if you have not already done so to do some or all of the following:

1. Either go to the library or purchase some books on sales. Jeffrey Gitomer is a good sales author. If you don't like to read then get them on CD or tape.
2. Check I tunes for any podcasts that might be sales and marketing related.
3. If you happen to know someone in sales who is good at sales than take them to lunch and pick their brain. I have been meeting with my sales mentor for a number of years and I can't tell you how much I have learned from him. We just went to lunch today as a matter of fact. I usually buy lunch and ask him sales questions.

Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I also cannot wait for the snow to melt, however it's going to be a long time before we see turf & landscapes, over a 3' snowpack here.

My ultimate goal for this year is to go from basically solo except help on larger installs & clean ups to purchase a dump trailer, get a 2 man maint crew busy 40 hrs per week, hopefully one of them will be a licensed applicator & can do the fert/weed control once I set up a sprayer then a second truck to work as part of design/install crew that I'll work on with 1-2 other guys full time and eventually get out of the field next year or even this year if possible. I also plan to purchase a brand new Boss 8'2" VXT & possibly another depending on how many new snow accounts I obtain. I plan to do a TON of marketing to make this happen. Increasing efficiency systems will be implemented as well. Ill also have to write an employee handbook. I'm working on my pricing & estimating system as well, since there's no snow in the forecast next week, I should be able to get that done and set in stone.

Another goal is to re-read E-Myth & Green Side Up and order & read "Be the Best at What Matters" before spring arrives.
Posted via Mobile Device
The E-Myth is a great book, I highly recommend it. Good luck this year and stay warm.