Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Br550 choke knob

My BR550 choke knob won't stay choked. It just winds back to open position.
To get it to run I have to hold it choked while I pull the rope. At the same time this happened when I get it started it isn't idling low, just runs like at full thottle once it does start. Trigger is working with the cable to the carb. It all just started now that I really need it for the leaves. Any ideas?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Take starter off Take blower back cover. (T27 torx screw driver get a long one or the scrench.) Carb removal in this beast can be a bit tricky if you never have done it before. The fuel lines and the throttle cable both go into slots sandwiched behind the air filter housing. Take all off and inspect choke to see why it`s not properly operational. Although I have a feeling your throttle cable is pressed a little bit or a lot "it isn't idling low." Sounds like a kinked throttle cable or not returning. You can disconnect your throttle cable and check choke operation closely and determine the problem. Good luck let me know if you have any more questions. I tripped and stepped on my throttle cable once and it wouln't choke or idle low.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll try in the morning, fortunately its raining so I won't be missed.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sell the 550, get a 600, problem solved.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Member

It's the same machine with a smaller fan and different name badge. In fact making the 550 slightly more durable.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well it was amature hour last time I replaced the fuel line. When I put it back together I didn't feed the throttle cable through the grommets along the bottom that act as strain relief. So after about 3 months I finally must have pulled on the cable enough to cause the problem. It seems to have bent the choke shaft this is why the plastic knob cracked and popped off. It running for now as good as ever but probably should use the stihl fuel lines since these other ones keep cracking (although they are 3/16 ID which is probably to small). My fuel pickup is 7 years old alot of hours probably time for this too. I almost went and bought a 600 which I've been thinking of doing for a while since I only have the one blower. It pushes alot more air at roughly the same speed, so it might not dislodge stuck dirt to pavement much better but will move more product (leaves) faster as long as I can remember to not use full thottle when I don't need to so I don't waste gas. I'll probably get it sooner than later once its in the budget. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncknaklawns View Post
Well it was amature hour last time I replaced the fuel line. When I put it back together I didn't feed the throttle cable through the grommets along the bottom that act as strain relief. So after about 3 months I finally must have pulled on the cable enough to cause the problem. It seems to have bent the choke shaft this is why the plastic knob cracked and popped off. It running for now as good as ever but probably should use the stihl fuel lines since these other ones keep cracking (although they are 3/16 ID which is probably to small). My fuel pickup is 7 years old alot of hours probably time for this too. I almost went and bought a 600 which I've been thinking of doing for a while since I only have the one blower. It pushes alot more air at roughly the same speed, so it might not dislodge stuck dirt to pavement much better but will move more product (leaves) faster as long as I can remember to not use full thottle when I don't need to so I don't waste gas. I'll probably get it sooner than later once its in the budget. Thanks for the help.
The only way possible to "bend" the choke shaft is from an inpact... There is no way possible to "bend" the choke shaft otherwise...

The "fuel line kit" contains both the supply and long return line which is part number 4282 007 1014, it also contains instructions.

The "fuel filter" is part number 0000 350 3502. If your unit 2 fuel filters then use 1 of the prior number and 1 of 0000 350 3514 which is a double barbed filter. (I assume when you said the fuel filter is 7 years old, you will have the original version which only used the one fuel filter unless it has been updated).

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine does this when I leave the thumb trigger to lock mode
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The machine does get thrown around a little. Not sure shaft was actually bent now just that the plastic knob broke off and it seams to impact the plastic housing now although I need to get a new one to give the long nose a break. The strain relief was the whole problem. Thanks for the part numbers. Might gorilla glue the old choke knob if a new one is over $5 bucks.