Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Newly installed sod not flat

Hey guys,
Just installed some sod in a backyard and brought in 34 yards of topsoil to raise it up a little. slight grade, but nothing serious. I rolled the lawn before and after installing the sod- multiple times. I didn't tamp it or compact it because I know that compation is bad for grass. Some areas the dirt is approx. 12" high and other areas, 2-3 inches. The customer called me and said that the area is not even. Should I have rented a plate tamper or is the customer just being very picky?
thanks I appreciate it
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did you grade it at all
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best way to 'settle' new dirt is with flooding, then re-leveling, preferably with a tiller...
A roller can't push lumps into valleys as well as water does, so when the waters do come, the uneven settling appears...
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can roll it again if the soils damp enough to move. How many SF was the job? 34 yards is a lot, sounds like you we're filling with it when you should have graded the existing or brought fill an then put a layer of topsoil on the TOP
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the area had some above ground tree roots and they wanted the back of their back yard raised up a little which we did. We installed all the dirt, raked it out perfectly even, rolled it onec, twice three times, put the sod down, and rolled it twice after that.
Im not sure the question did I grade it? I hope that answers it. Im going to go and see and ill keep you updated. Hopefully this will help others in the future
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

in the future if you are going to raise a particular area up 12 inches then i would probably use 6 inches of fill and compact and then 6 inches of loam. Compact the fill in 2-3 inch lifts and then compact the soil in lifts as well but dont compact it as much as the fill so that the grass roots can thrive.

What type of machine did you use to move and spread the soil? skid? tractor?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we used wheel barrows.
makes sense, so anything more than 4 inches compact it. leave the top 3-4 inches loose, only rolled.
thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
we used wheel barrows.
makes sense, so anything more than 4 inches compact it. leave the top 3-4 inches loose, only rolled.
thanks!
Yeah hate to say it but you're probably going to be putting new sod down. Unless you can pull it up and redo the base before it burns out

If you tell me where you're at I can help you. I've asked you before. You're not competition to me. I have a lot of connects. We don't do any grass cutting. Just machine work and some landscaping
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Yeah hate to say it but you're probably going to be putting new sod down. Unless you can pull it up and redo the base before it burns out

If you tell me where you're at I can help you. I've asked you before. You're not competition to me. I have a lot of connects. We don't do any grass cutting. Just machine work and some landscaping
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a great offer and shows the good side of our business. I have a ton of relatives in Chesapeake Beach and stay at the Rod and Reel when I'm up there. Good folks.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the offer. That is kind of you. I plan to take a look. If its that bad, ill take the sod up if I cant and compact the soil then put it back on. If its already rooted I am not sure what I could do. I think renting a plate tamper and tamping sod isn't a good idea..