Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wtf...you dropped 34 yards of soil via wheel barrows? Am i reading this right?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ive done worse. I once delivered 60 yards that the guy moved by barrrow

How many square feet is the whole job
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Job is about 3,000 sq ft. Yes all wheelbarrow. I didnt do it alone though. Last time i did 20 yards by myself in 6 hours, but it was close. I dont own a mini skid steer. I went today and there were a few small spots that im going to level out- very easy. Everything looked good aswell. Thanks for everyone's help.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

some customers think the money they spend on a new lawn is going to buy them fenway park or a golf green.

I used to build athletic parks, did a few fields for Yale and even the Yankees Farm team. Before that, I built golf courses.

The process, and cost is something entirely different than a residential lawn install and customers need to be educated as such.

Golf courses and Baseball infields have a sand base. Their lawn is NOt going to (or at least not for under 50k more than what they paid)

Many also have this idea that they can cut their lawn (or you should) to a height like a golf green. No dude, that's not the same kind of grass.

You should always interview your clients very closely, find out what their hobbies are and what they do on their off time? Do they play a lot of golf? Do they run their horses across the polo field every saturday, what is it they are expecting to buy?

I used to have a client who was a retired professional tennis player, he wanted his front lawn (which was also a grass tennis court) sodded every year... didn't matter what the old stuff looked like...fresh sod NOW... at least he paid well tho.

I think your lawn looks nice, if there is a dip or two you can just fill it in and put some sod or seed over that, but otherwise that's a nice lawn.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm glad everything worked out well for at the end. I do it all by hand as well. Has it rained a lot recently over there? I'd get plenty of water on it after the fix to make sure theres no more settling. Cheers man
Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks man, that is amazing the customer wanted new sod every year. Western mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
some customers think the money they spend on a new lawn is going to buy them fenway park or a golf green.

I used to build athletic parks, did a few fields for Yale and even the Yankees Farm team. Before that, I built golf courses.

The process, and cost is something entirely different than a residential lawn install and customers need to be educated as such.

Golf courses and Baseball infields have a sand base. Their lawn is NOt going to (or at least not for under 50k more than what they paid)

Many also have this idea that they can cut their lawn (or you should) to a height like a golf green. No dude, that's not the same kind of grass.

You should always interview your clients very closely, find out what their hobbies are and what they do on their off time? Do they play a lot of golf? Do they run their horses across the polo field every saturday, what is it they are expecting to buy?

I used to have a client who was a retired professional tennis player, he wanted his front lawn (which was also a grass tennis court) sodded every year... didn't matter what the old stuff looked like...fresh sod NOW... at least he paid well tho.

I think your lawn looks nice, if there is a dip or two you can just fill it in and put some sod or seed over that, but otherwise that's a nice lawn.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Leaf View Post
I'm glad everything worked out well for at the end. I do it all by hand as well. Has it rained a lot recently over there? I'd get plenty of water on it after the fix to make sure theres no more settling. Cheers man
Thanks! Every part of the lawn should have gotten 1 hour of water for the last 30 days or so.

BTW: the lawn is extremely flat, much moreso than any other property I have. There is 1 area 3X5 that is not good, but the rest is fantastic.