Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What to look out for when looking at a used hydro mower?

I apologize in advance if there is a thread on it already, I searched but didn’t come up with what I was looking for..

Im going to look at a 36inch Hydro walk behind today, just wondering if there is a general list of things I should keep my eye out for when giving it a good look-over. I currently have ZERO experience with hydro walk behind mowers so Im not sure of some of the trouble spots and things to really look out for when checking out a used unit.. Its 4 yrs old and only has about 400 hrs and look immaculate in the pictures. Brand is a MTD Pro. I know its not one of the major brands, but the guy is asking $1800 with a bagger and velke. The reviews on it seem to be pretty good, it was about $5000 new. Guy says he is VERY motivated to sell, Im hoping to get it for closer to $1200…

A little background/what Ill be using it for: Im going to be starting a part time landscaping business and hope to eventually transition into it being full time. Some of you guys may recall my thread about purchasing a business, well I decided not to go that route and instead have decided to make a slow transition over the next 2 years and acquire equipment/accounts gradually without taking out any debt to start up. This machine will eventually be used just to get into narrow gates and as a back-up machine, but for the 1st year or so while I save up for a ZTR it will be my main machine.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What to look out for when looking at a used hydro mower?

Make sure u operate and make sure the hydros are tight and do not sound like they are under a lot of strain.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah...
Beyond the usual those hydraulics need to be in good working order.

That's been my experience, if you get a mower where the hydraulics are failing you could be in for a ride that could cost you between a thousand to fifteen hundred just in parts, only an example but I'm not making this up. Make sure it's not cavitating, hard to miss this, basically the whole system needs to work like it should.

I think taking someone else along with you wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I actually went to see it last night and agreed on a pice. $1300 including the bagger and velke. 400 hrs, thing was immaculate, garage kept. Gave me 4 sets of blades including gator. And the guy is going to drive it to my house this weekend. All in all, it seems like I got a good deal and a nice mower to start with and eventually as a backup for a larger ZTR.