Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark stand-on aerator = slow up/down

The tines raise & lower too slow for my taste, and there is no adjustment for this. So I called Exmark about this tonight. They recommended I talk to a dealer, but as most of you know -- dealers don't know much about this machine to say the least.

I explained to Exmark that I have to wait about 5 seconds at the end of each pass to allow the tines to raise (and almost as long to lower them). Otherwise I tear the sh$t out of turf.

Then Exmark technical support told me they often mistakenly use the same fluid in both the transmission and the hydraulic system. (I thought wtf, but I didn't say anything cuz the guy on the phone was not pleased about my questions/concerns in the first place). He said the tranny (fluid) is a totally different system compared to the "hydraulics", and each should use different fluids.

Bottom line: Exmark says AW-32 oil should be used regarding the hydraulic cylinder. So I plan to drain out the existing hydro fluid that Exmark put in and use John Deere low viscosity Hy-Gard fluid, cuz it's never let me down in the past.

Thoughts?

p.s. I wish Wrench Spinner would chime in on this one.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's not good

Wow that's not good American, I have not had any such problems with our TORO. Up and down within a couple of seconds, will be interesting to hear what solution you come up with for your unit. Good luck
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure that the wrong fluid is being used in that system? I am aware that they are two different systems with two types of oil. It does take a few seconds for the up down of the tines on my machine as well. I too wish it was quicker though. Probably my biggest beef. I have actually just gotten better at timing. I like two or three perimeter passes. I then use as I enter that area to let off of the tines, turn, drop tines, and go. Takes a few seconds to go through each turn. I guess for me, it's just a timing thing to get used to.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similar problem on a snow plow today. Turned out one of valves had an obstruction.

Good luck. I would not be happy if I were in your shoes.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now tines won't raise. See pic of them sitting on concrete.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh sh!t
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The tines started getting lower & lower today. I finally quit using it early this afternoon in Windsor Heights cuz the tines started hitting the walks & driveways. Took it to a Toro/Emark dealer just a few blocks away (Clive Power Equipment). Said the problem was the rear tires were too low (funny cuz I checked them earlier this week, and they were at 13 psi). They added more air, but still no difference. Tines were still hitting the concrete. oops! Then I asked if they could help me. (keep in mind they are required to service products under manufacturer warranty). They said, "leave it here and we can have it looked at by next week".

So I decided to take it back to our place. Checked rear tire pressures (using a digital pressure gauge) >> they put 23 lbs in one, and 28 lbs in the other one. Exmark calls for 12-14 psi. There's more to this story.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
The tines started getting lower & lower today. I finally quit using it early this afternoon in Windsor Heights cuz the tines started hitting the walks & driveways. Took it to a Toro/Emark dealer just a few blocks away (Clive Power Equipment). Said the problem was the rear tires were too low (funny cuz I checked them earlier this week, and they were at 13 psi). They added more air, but still no difference. Tines were still hitting the concrete. oops! Then I asked if they could help me. (keep in mind they are required to service products under manufacturer warranty). They said, "leave it here and we can have it looked at by next week".

So I decided to take it back to our place. Checked rear tire pressures (using a digital pressure gauge) >> they put 23 lbs in one, and 28 lbs in the other one. Exmark calls for 12-14 psi. There's more to this story.
Idiots, obviously something is not
Working. How the heck can they sell these and know nothing about them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
Idiots, obviously something is not
Working. How the heck can they sell these and know nothing about them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Something is wrong with the hydros!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Something wrong. 20 years ago we had a Tru Green truck that had a hydraulic motor hose reel--unlike the other trucks it wound up the hose really slowly. Dam. After many vexing days I finally discovered that one of the wire-reinforced rubber hydraulic hoses was kinked internally. The hydraulic fluid flow was very slow--about 10 percent of the normal gals per minute. I got a new hose at the hydraulics dealer--problem was fixed immediately.

This problem was probably caused by careless removal of the reel from the truck during the previous winter's tear down for repainting. Could have done it myself.