Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I may try again with my conductive-type locater, but I don't have much hopes for it.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I may try again with my conductive-type locater, but I don't have much hopes for it.
You brought up a good Boots. You may be having issues with your locator or technique.

I was using an Armada Pro-800 yesterday and have had the same results with the 521 locator, dynatels, rycoms, radio detection locators too. What could be the difference between your lack of success locating a metallic conductor in a water filled conduit and my success at locating the same?

Looking forward to your pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

buying the special battery from a Radio Shack store might have been the issue in the instance I was experimenting - Grainger is far more trustworthy a source

I still want to work up a completely-waterproof copper-core fish tape, since they are sold to the trade that needs them for sewer pipe locating.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
buying the special battery from a Radio Shack store might have been the issue in the instance I was experimenting - Grainger is far more trustworthy a source

I still want to work up a completely-waterproof copper-core fish tape, since they are sold to the trade that needs them for sewer pipe locating.
I'll post a link later for the trace wire but I think you're mistaking a fodder or cam unit for the sewer locate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, I was doing an extensive search for a conductive-core fish tape, and there are some of them out there. I assume they work out about the same as my dry-pipe experiment with a steel fish tape, in that the signal faded much more than it would on copper wire.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.copperheadwire.com/technical_info.html
Posted via Mobile Device

http://locatorguys.com

Last edited by 1idejim; 12-01-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not mistaking a waterproof flexible fiberglass rod (more proper name than fish tape) with a copper core for anything but what it is. They exist, period. The question is, do they serve any actual purpose? For the prices I remember seeing, they'd better. The Jameson gas line tracer might actually do the trick, but they are not selling it as having an isolated copper core in a waterproof covering.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm not mistaking a waterproof flexible fiberglass rod (more proper name than fish tape) with a copper core for anything but what it is. They exist, period. The question is, do they serve any actual purpose? For the prices I remember seeing, they'd better. The Jameson gas line tracer might actually do the trick, but they are not selling it as having an isolated copper core in a waterproof covering.
http://www.rjmcompany.com/cable-pipe...tor-sondes.htm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Strictly for the task of dry-conductor tracing in a wet pipe, for the sprinkler system trade, it could be easier and cheaper to rig something to encapsulate a wire end, and use the regular steel tape to put it into the pipe.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Strictly for the task of dry-conductor tracing in a wet pipe, for the sprinkler system trade, it could be easier and cheaper to rig something to encapsulate a wire end, and use the regular steel tape to put it into the pipe.
Yes. Sprinkus and I have been telling people of the solenoid on a stick for a number of years. I may have posted pics of one in action in the past. I also recall posting a pic of a coil that I once made to work on smaller pipe. That also worked well.

I don't recall you posting any pics of your experiment though. I'm sure you will post your upcoming experiment and I am looking forward to them
Posted via Mobile Device