Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you still enjoy the trade?

I am just curious to know how many of you guys still enjoy doing what we do on a regular basis? I did a clean up for a women today and she was very pleased with our work and she asked me afterward what I liked about my job? I told her "exactly this! When I get a mess of a yard and completely flip it... Making a huge difference and afterward having the customer come out and look at my work and tell me wow you did a great job". This is so rewarding for me it gives me modivation to keep on keeping on. But my question is how many of you guys actually enjoy doing this? I myself have been in business about a year now and am killing it picking up customers left a d right, doing clean ups along with mantaining yards and making a killing. I gross about 750.00-800.00 a day with one employee which provides me with a very comfortable income for me and my family but it did not happen overnight I worked my way up learning from other companies, paying close attention on how they did things both the good and bad. I got licensed and insured, advertised my ass off going door to door with flyers along with doing EDDM, yellow pages (which has not done much for me for 100.00 a month) and of course word of mouth and I love what I do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am 32 years old and have loved what we do since I was about 12 years old.... I worked for another company for about 16 of those years and this has been my first year as a business owner and I still love it.... Question for you.... Have you worked in the industry for more than a year? You said "about a year" and I wasn't sure if you had been in the industry for a while and like me, this is your new business or if you have just been in the industry for a year.....
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been in the business for ten years and worked for 4 different companies along the way. Two of the companies were well ran good commercial landscape maintenance companies the other two had their heads up their ass as far as equipment, how they route their routes, and employees.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool, I feel as if us guys that have worked for other companies really have a leg up on the competition... Or, on the guys that say "Well, landscaping looks fun, I guess I will start a business!" You definitely have to be a certain type of person to work in the industry.... The hardest job I ever had was probably when I started and I was string trimming 30 houses each day... Until you get your muscles used to that.... Boy is it difficult! Running the belt drive walk behind is no picnic either but you end up getting used to it, learning little tricks. Yes, I currently own my own business but I would still go out and string trim those 30 houses tomorrow if I had to.... And I would do it with a smile on my face...
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any advise you would give to someone that is starting a company on the side with the intent on making it their full time job in a year or 2? what are some of those good things you learned along the way and the things the companies that werent so good were doing? (if you dont mind, thanks>)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I enjoy this work to a degree...I really enjoy building a business; I'm much more passionate about that!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

After 6 years I still enjoy the work very much. Im not so fond of buying equiptment anymore lol.

Not to mention this beats working for the man.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get sick of it after running a company for 10 years. There are so many things I would change knowing what I know now. I don't regret it. I've made a good life in this industry. A couple of things I would have done differently:

Got help as soon as I could and got off the mower
Switched everyone over to weekly year around ASAP
Got a box truck ASAP and left the trucks/trailers alone

Tips and tricks

Learn to fix/work on your own equipment ASAP
Get a good program for billing/scheduling
Take care of your equipment(don't buy cheap stuff)
Build a website asap( that's how the world finds you now)
Market/advertise as much as you can
Pick one or two services and be the best in the area at it
I'll add more later
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLugNutZ View Post
Any advise you would give to someone that is starting a company on the side with the intent on making it their full time job in a year or 2? what are some of those good things you learned along the way and the things the companies that werent so good were doing? (if you dont mind, thanks>)
God where do I begin.... First off don't just have customers, develope relationships with them try and remember what their petpives are about their yard talk to them on a personal basis when you see them don't just treat them as if you collect money from them once a month or so. Save your money especially the first year you are in business you never know what is going to happen tomorrow. Buy good equipment I know it might be hard to do especially when you are first starting out but it's been my experience that certain tools can be sold at the same price but the right ones can last you years and years even if you buy used. Don't get loans starting out and expect money to be rolling in only spend on the income you have. Do a good job always is number one even if you underbid the job. Ohh and always know there are a ton of weirdos out there and no matter what you do you might not make them happy don't let it get you down "do your best and forget the rest."
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by goinggreen123; 11-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=exmarkking;4899253]I get sick of it after running a company for 10 years. There are so many things I would change knowing what I know now. I don't regret it. I've made a good life in this industry. A couple of things I would have done differently:

Got help as soon as I could and got off the mower
Switched everyone over to weekly year around ASAP
Got a box truck ASAP and left the trucks/trailers alone

Tips and tricks

Learn to fix/work on your own equipment ASAP
Get a good program for billing/scheduling
Take care of your equipment(don't buy cheap stuff)
Build a website asap( that's how the world finds you now)
Market/advertise as much as you can
Pick one or two services and be the best in the area at it
I'll add more later
[size=1][i]Posted

Are you going SOLO next year?