Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying the New Wright Stander I 36"

I had a trailer and the equipment in it stolen a month ago. I was contemplating buying a used scag vride 36" and did a tested ride with it the other day. The engine was extremely strong and it seemed almost too strong for a the size of the mower. I was impressed with the cut but the durability and feel of the machine was not to my liking. It seems like a lot of the scag v ride owners have taken off the knee pad thingy and weights that are on top of the deck off. Why modify if its such a good machine? Also, the rear tires were pretty small for the size of the mower and it was quite long compared to the wright. We had a 36" fixed deck wright and a 48" wright stander x that were stolen with the trailer so maybe I'm biased on the wrights. We are almost done here in the Chicago area and could wait till next spring to look for another stander but with the cheaper price Wright is offering now and the need for a new stander for this trailer I've decided to buy the new Wright stander I. What I've heard is that it's basically the same machine as the rapid height but has the aero core deck. Wasn't a huge fan of the mulching of the aero core deck on the stander x. It had a lot of blow out picking up leaves but we never really tried to fix the problem with pitch or blade types etc. I would buy the fixed deck again but we are trying the I this time because we adjust heights a lot during the season and this makes it easier than changing the washer heights. We're picking it up tomorrow and we'll give it a go. I'll let you all know of my opinion of the machine. Funny thing happened when I asked the dealer if he had a price on the I and he said he never heard of it till I asked. This guy is a salesman at a big dealership. I told him I wanted to buy the Wright I and he got on the phone with wright and low and behold they had two 36" in stock. Pretty funny.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I'll post some photos of the new wright stander I. I picked the I up yesterday and we put to work right away. This thing is awesome. Wright redesigned a lot on this new model. First feature that was changed was the front tires are closer together. The grill and muffler are redesigned. The battery location is next to You on the left side instead of the rh where it's between your feet. The control bars are higher up so you can see the control panel better. Great feature! The rear tires seem closer. I think they did this so there's a little overhang on the deck. So when go around any landscaping the mower overhangs a bit and you're not driving on the edge of the landscaping. I'll update things and feature I may have missed. The I feels very compact and quick. One of my guys thinks it weighs more than the other wright 36 we had but I don't know about that. I think it's smaller and even more agile than the other 36 wrights. Also, it sucks up leaves like a champ. It mows great. The one thing I didn't like was it was tough to put the bag on with the flap in place. It's so compact that when you flip up the flap there's not much room for it to go. The price is the same as the rapid heights. I think I made a good purchase and excited to see the other sized stander i's.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How does the I compare to your X.....?
Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a 48" x and loved it. They're comparable. The i's deck is different in shape but still is the aero core. The I seems even smaller and compact. Both mowers are very agile. Once I get home I'll post the photos. The x didn't or doesn't come in a 36" so that's a difference.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I just checked wrights website and the regular fixed deck 36" stander is 100 lbs less than the 36" I. So, my worker was right.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pics.....We need pics......
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed once, but I am very new to anything but a wb, so I didn't notice any difference. I didn't know theyre for sale yet.
Why not go for the sport RH? you get a seat
Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so right now wright is 17% off msrp; should you get the mower for even less from your dealer like you normally would get less than msrp?
thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Here they are. I'll take some more pics if you want them.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
I demoed once, but I am very new to anything but a wb, so I didn't notice any difference. I didn't know theyre for sale yet.
Why not go for the sport RH? you get a seat
I'm sure the sport RH is good but I have no need for a 36" seated mower right now. I'm in the Chicago area and we have a lot of smaller properties. We are on and off the machine pretty fast. The agility and speed of standing on the mower keeps our workers alert. Demoe all the mowers. At this size, IMO, this is the best mower on the market.