Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Equipment setup questions.

I've been in the decorative concrete business for about 5 years and last year we expanded into pouring/stamping in addition to the overlays and resurfacing. I'm mainly doing patios under 600sf so I've gotten away with using a sod cutter to strip sod, pay local company $100 for 1-10yds clean fill, and wheelbarrow by hand. I've found I can only utilize my 8500lb Deere 270 skid loader on maybe 1 in 5 jobs where I have the room. Earlier this year I rented a Deere 17d mini ex and could see how it replaced 3 guys on shovels and could still fit in 3ft gate and not destroy the lawn. I now own a jcb 8018 (3700lb mini ex). I want to buy a dump trailer to be able to remove spoils and haul my own fill. I just recently started researching concrete buggies because I think it may be the piece of the puzzle I'm missing. Do any of you know if a concrete buggy will run up a ramp loaded into a dump trailer? I'm also interested in having the buggy to place concrete so that I can get away from $200 concrete pump minimums. I know many of you run trucks with a dump body and pull excavator/track loader for these tasks but I'm looking to tow with an E350 van because that's what I use for the overlay work. I can't justify a big money setup for the 3k-5k patios that make up a lot of my work.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like your set up except for the van! To answer your question, I say it all depends on what make you are referring to. I have 2 different tracked "dumpers" and they both climb a ramp, in fact they'll climb until they spill backwards, nothing stops them when it comes to an angled approach. Now, both are hydraulic and not the gear type like the Kubotas kc models.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What brand dumper would you recommend?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cormidi
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like the van if you have a dump trailer an a brake controller. Diesel is a bonus. Sounds like a cool operation, good luck. That size ex is next for me too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why not just take a section of fence out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the suburbs of Orlando the majority of lawns are thick, over watered st augustine grass and these developments are literally built on a swamp. I've seen a loaded wheelbarrow sink 4 inches. I'm only making the margins I want because two guys prep for concrete in under 6hrs day 1, pour/color/stamp in under 5hrs day 2, strip forms/pressure wash/seal in 4-5 hrs day 3. I never let my guys cross the curb line in truck/van/trailer. Years back I had a guy crack a driveway with a box truck and I've dealt with ruts and sod work.

I own some acreage where I let pool companies dump clean fill for free to bring up low areas on the property. With the new setup I'd be able to dump surplus material and take clean fill to job at cost of just time and fuel. A dumper would add $200-300 of profit per job by time savings on wheelbarrow work and utilizing my free fill. I'm really hoping a wheeled buggy will get job done because they look very inexpensive to buy and operate. I also like that they use a 13hp Honda because on my pressure washers they are bulletproof. My main concern now is will it run up the ramps on a dump trailer. The only track dumper I'm seeing for sale in US is Canycom which are rare used it seems. You guys can see what we do at DecorativeConcreteExperts.net
Old 11-09-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cormidi has your answer. Look to spend 10-12 k
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The problem with the buggy is dumping into the trailer.

Yes, I saw your mention of using ramps. They're gonna have to be really really beefy ramps. Steel with like 1/4" mesh so the buggy can go up the ramps with wet and or muddy tires.

Again, I would pop a section of fence out. Much easier.

Also, there are still options. For our tight jobs we use our New Holland compact utility tractor. 35 hp, 4wd, bucket holds about a third of a yard of material, lifts 900 pounds with no counter weight, and unit weighs about 2500 pounds(?).
Posted via Mobile Device