Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
meets 1 -- I am from O'Brien County (farm near Primghar). Here's what I did.

http://www.iaturf.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

Turf-type tall fescues are the wave of the future. Best seeding results for us have been late November. No watering needed.

I prefer a 4-way blend of turf-type tall fescues. We like "Green Resister" from http://www.lftseed.com
I will tell you this about TTTF in hook season regions like Wisconsin sheer I am located. The UW did has been testing TTTF for the past 5 years in at the research farm which is located in Madison, Wi and after 5 years if there is any KBG in the mix if overruns the TTTF. KBG has remarkable recuperative abilities with it rhizomous growing action. I have seen it on the lawns in my area this year. Last years drought and long winter hammered the lawn hard. After this years rains and helpful aeration the lawns looked great later this summer and fall. No seeding was needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
To me overseeding always means you are doing the whole thing. Anything less I refer to as spot seeding or repairs.

Compacted football fields benefit from regular aeration - at different depths if possible. The fact that a field is worn out or already torn up does not mitigate this. If anything it provides an additional reason to aerate.
One reason we have a new Exmark 30" stand-on. Pulled many 4" plugs today & every day.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
I will tell you this about TTTF in hook season regions like Wisconsin sheer I am located. The UW did has been testing TTTF for the past 5 years in at the research farm which is located in Madison, Wi and after 5 years if there is any KBG in the mix if overruns the TTTF. KBG has remarkable recuperative abilities with it rhizomous growing action. I have seen it on the lawns in my area this year. Last years drought and long winter hammered the lawn hard. After this years rains and helpful aeration the lawns looked great later this summer and fall. No seeding was needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
This why I killed out my KBG lawn. It turned brown (went dormant or nearly died) every summer. After hearing the 2 top guns at ISU switched to TTTF in their home lawns, I decided to follow suit. Now I have a green lawn spring, summer, and fall. I don't water, but I mow high and only when necessary during summer.

I realize KBG is a very "forgiving" grass, but in June, July, August, September, October .... it can be very "dead-looking", and this is not pleasing to my eyes.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry, KBG might look dormant for a month at the most, not 4 months. The professor at UW also was a big fan of TTTF but he has come to appreciate the value of KBG in our region. Unlike the central part of the country where a lot of overseeding is done up here we do virtually know reseeding as it is not needed. The KBG heals itself. I too thought of seeding with TTTF this year but after seeing w the lawns now, no way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The reason that TTTF does better in Iowa than Wisco,,, is the climate... The reason KBG does better in Wisco than in Iowa, is the climate...

My guess is that TTTF doesn't give up so quickly in Iowa and get over-run with KBG as it does in Wisco... I remember The Wisconsin Gardener, Shelly Ryan talking about TTTF with the folks in UW-Madison and how even down there that TTTF, just isn't a good turf grass... Up here it isn't even considered...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The reason that TTTF does better in Iowa than Wisco,,, is the climate... The reason KBG does better in Wisco than in Iowa, is the climate...

My guess is that TTTF doesn't give up so quickly in Iowa and get over-run with KBG as it does in Wisco... I remember The Wisconsin Gardener, Shelly Ryan talking about TTTF with the folks in UW-Madison and how even down there that TTTF, just isn't a good turf grass... Up here it isn't even considered...
You are most likely correct. I just wanted to explain to others that jumping on the TTTF train isn't the correct thing to do everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good points. 3 or 4 years ago the USDA tweaked the hardiness zones. So now (Des Moines, IA) where I'm at is the same hardiness zone as northern Missouri, northern Kansas, southern Nebraska, etc.

Combine this with 3 years in a row with unusually hot/dry summers, turf-type tall fescue has become the norm at the I-80/I-35 corridor.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
You are most likely correct. I just wanted to explain to others that jumping on the TTTF train isn't the correct thing to do everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Absolutely,,, good job...
Another important consideration is soil texture...