Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our new custom leaf box

It's not finished yet, but I know how everyone loves leaf set-ups!!

I didn't want to tie up the dump trailer with a big box this year, so for a longer term solution I bit the bullet and am having this made for the back of the F550 dump bed. It can double as a chip box also... Should be done tomorrow and I will post pics with the vac.

7' tall, a bit over 7' wide and nearly 10' long. Will sit in the dump bed with a bit of play and room for the corner D-rings.

All aluminum construction, 2" tube outer frame, 1x2 supports, will tie four corners down to the D-rings in the dump bed. Half of the top will be vented in the center... Wanted something that we could slide in and out. But it's looking that this will be fairly heavy anyway but at least it's one piece and not a ton of screwed in lumber!!

Got a brand new 18 hp Billy Goat to hang on the tailgate and will remove it at the shop with the Dingo before dumping... or at least that's the plan!
Attached Images

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great! Are you going to be driving that truck with the box on it? I can just picture an employee deciding to hit up the drive-thru for a cup of coffee. I'd also be worried about messing it up putting it on and taking it off too. I'm sure it's a pretty good investment you're making in it. What will the height of the rig be with it on? Like 11 feet?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Darryl- It's about 10' 6" total height when it's in the back of the dump bed. Nothing too bad. I'll be driving it!

Structurally, it's strong! But you're right- we already discussed the rigors of taking it in and out and what that might do over time. These guys do really nice work. I'm not too concerned about it shifting.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, promise me you'll be careful, lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What that dome you got going in the back?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what is that running you?

i was going to make one three years ago like yours but i decided to just make a nice looking one out of 2x4's and ply wood and paint it black. Looks decent and it was less then 100 bucks. I planned on only using it one year and now some how its on year number 3 after sitting out in the weather un-covered year round. This is its last year seeing its getting soft and weak. Next year i should have a new plan.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You seen these? Price is up there.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...light=leaf+box
Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
What that dome you got going in the back?
That's not our shop! ha. It's being made at a business that does awnings (aluminum frames and fabric awnings for commercial buildings, etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
what is that running you?

i was going to make one three years ago like yours but i decided to just make a nice looking one out of 2x4's and ply wood and paint it black. Looks decent and it was less then 100 bucks. I planned on only using it one year and now some how its on year number 3 after sitting out in the weather un-covered year round. This is its last year seeing its getting soft and weak. Next year i should have a new plan.
Yea, I have the dump trailer leaf box lumber sitting at the shop, half way out in the weather! I could have gone that route again, I just HATE assembling it and taking it down, tying up the trailer for a long time in Nov and Dec.... This way we can use the trailer for other things and have a self contained leaf set-up and still pull the trailer with mowers. Dumping will sorta be a pain, but we'll work it out.

It will run 3000.00 for the custom box. That still less than one of those Truckcraft boxes (which are nice, btw)

Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mine stays rigid and we take it on and off with the excavator, goes on the back of a f-450. Kinda shaky as your getting it on but once its on its strong.

You should put a little 24x24 top door in it so you can get inside and "jump it"

How it works. Boss man usually yells "jump it" last to yell "not it" has to climb inside and jump up and down like a kid packing the leaves down so we can fit more in the box. ( if this is a new guy its tradition to start the leaf vac and blow leaves while he does it)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
Mine stays rigid and we take it on and off with the excavator, goes on the back of a f-450. Kinda shaky as your getting it on but once its on its strong.

You should put a little 24x24 top door in it so you can get inside and "jump it"

How it works. Boss man usually yells "jump it" last to yell "not it" has to climb inside and jump up and down like a kid packing the leaves down so we can fit more in the box. ( if this is a new guy its tradition to start the leaf vac and blow leaves while he does it)
HA, no... No "jump it" gonna happen here. That's what the road is for! Between jobs, the stack of leaves always settles a bit.

I wish I was at my old shop (well, not really...) because there was a Lull onsite that could lift this thing in and out. We shall see. Excited to pick this thing up and put it all together.