Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Honda HRX ?'s

Can the HRX with blade stop and the hydro trans speed be varied with the engagement handle by the amount it is closed/open. Don't have a dealer near by to look at or ask questions. While were at it what are your opinions on this mower for light commercial use?

Looking for a walk behind for next year, would love the 30" mowers but it seems they haven't worked the kinks out of them.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Can the HRX with blade stop and the hydro trans speed be varied with the engagement handle by the amount it is closed/open. Don't have a dealer near by to look at or ask questions. While were at it what are your opinions on this mower for light commercial use?

Looking for a walk behind for next year, would love the 30" mowers but it seems they haven't worked the kinks out of them.
Yes, I have one and love it. It's quiet, it runs great, and the HRX17 has the big 190cc engine. It's the only mower I have so I've used it all day, everyday, no problems whatsoever.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know there are past threads on this mower's performance but was looking for latest opinions.

Mainly was wondering about varying the speed by changing the amount you close the drive handle.

Also, if you choose to discharge and semi-bag at the same time where do the clipping discharge.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

The option for partial bagging leaves the rest of the clippings to be mulched. There is no partial discharge with bagging. If you put the lever on bag without a bag on the mower it discharges from the rear. Fantastic mower.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Varying the speed with the handle is easy, but I think they all come with speed control as well, mine does, and I usually have it full speed except when the grass is real long, I turn it down slower slightly. And the variable clip deflector is genius, you can mulch some and bag the rest or mulch most and bag only some. It has 10 variable settings for the clippings I believe. Discharge is rear only so the only way to discharge is to take the bag off. But you can mulch some and discharge some. Very versatile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Can the HRX with blade stop and the hydro trans speed be varied with the engagement handle by the amount it is closed/open.
Yes, the drive clutch lever (wide black bar) controls the speed from 0-maximum. When fully released, there is no engagement/drive of the rear wheels. As you press the lever closer to the handlebar, the wheels start to turn and go faster the closer the bar gets to the handlebar.

There is also an orange lever on the side that set the maximum speed. For example, the HRX will run about 4 mph maximum, so to get this speed, move the orange lever all the way forward. To reduce the maximum speed, move the orange lever back a bit. At the 1/2 mark, the maximum speed will be about 2 mph. So, when you move the black lever all the way forward, the HRX will move at 2 mph.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What Robert said ^^^^

It works similar to a hydro w/b -- set the maximum speed with the control lever, but any speed between zero and the set maximum is achieved with holding the control bar in an intermediate position. While it works this way, using it this way for very long is not a good practice. It is better to move the control lever to the appropriate position, hold the engagement bar flat against the handle. An intermediate position is fine for maneuvering around obstacles, or any reason when a temporary slower speed is required. The intermediate position is a temporary situation, not one for standard operation.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
The intermediate position is a temporary situation, not one for standard operation.
Only because it fatigues your hands trying to feather your speed this way.
It will work, but it won't be comfortable.

It won't hurt this particular machine, because the orange lever is actually doing the same thing, by controlling the length of cable that is pulled out of the transmission.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Only because it fatigues your hands trying to feather your speed this way.
It will work, but it won't be comfortable.

It won't hurt this particular machine, because the orange lever is actually doing the same thing, by controlling the length of cable that is pulled out of the transmission.

What Robert and Roger said.

BTW its just me, but for my HRC and my Sacramento postage stamp lawns I have rarely moved that orange lever out of the slowest position. Reasons why? 1. Goes too fast on some of my uneven lawns thereby bouncing and potential scalping. 2. I get the best vacuum at that speed. (Only bag the clippings "o hea" in Sacramento) 3. I look like I care (I do care) as I am not sprinting to get r done. 4. I'm 53 now :O

Aloha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of grass are you mowing with the HRX? KBG, Fescue, St Augustine?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738