Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Fall Cleanups

I am getting a lot of calls for fall cleanup estimates, the only thing is people say, I will get back to you. Only a few cleanup estimates am I actually closing a deal, right on the spot. My prices compared to my competition are very reasonable. Is it because the leaves are not all off the trees yet around here and people are not ready for cleanups? How long after a estimate do you guys usually follow up.?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you ask them when they want the work done?

Do you try to schedule the work at the time you submit the bid?

I did some weekly clean ups last for the first time along with the one time deal after all the leaves fell down.

This year I sent a letter to all of my clients offering five weekly clean ups or one time for the same price. That service would start the first week of November, skip Thanksgiving week because I could not do every one in three days. It also would allow me to have three days to use to catch up if I got rained out during the first three weeks.

Then I would do the next two weeks after Thanksgiving.

Two brand new customers when given the price to do a clean up I gave them the same options and they went with the 5 week as well.

Now if some one was to hire me next week they would get the same price structure except that the first week was gone they would only get 4 visits.

Hire me after the first two weeks then it would be 3 visits.

Once my weekly schedule is filled. All new clean up jobs will be done one time and after the 5 week period is finished.

People do not want there grass left smothered. They also want to know when you can service them. They do not want to hear I'll put you on my schedule and will get back to you when the date gets near,

That comes across as undependable in the customers eye.

I do not get every clean up bid. At best as I can remember I got about half.

All as I can say is what I have said many times before. It takes about three years for a business to take off. You will get there.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard to tell since we are not there with you.

If they don't agree to buy, you haven't lifted their barrier that is preventing them from making the buying decision.

As the salesman, it is your job to either get the buyer to reveal their barrier or remove the barrier prior to it being revealed. Once this barrier is removed, the buyer will feel confident enough to make the buying decision.

I don't have a set time frame for following up on estimates…it depends on several things...how badly I want that particular job…did the person seem sticker shocked…how much other work do I have…is there another estimate that needs to be prioritized…did the buyer mention that they are getting several estimates…how hard do I want to work to get this job…is my time better spent doing something else...
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-10-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
I am getting a lot of calls for fall cleanup estimates, the only thing is people say, I will get back to you. Only a few cleanup estimates am I actually closing a deal, right on the spot. My prices compared to my competition are very reasonable. Is it because the leaves are not all off the trees yet around here and people are not ready for cleanups? How long after a estimate do you guys usually follow up.?
They're either getting other estimates or they're not hiring you. If they want you they'll hire you on the spot or call you. We don't follow up. Leave a card with the estimate and if they want you they'll call. They found you once, they'll find you if they want you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

all of our regular customers get our full fall service with mowing contract which starts with mowing/bagging once the leaves start falling steady (usually ends up as 4 cuts) then we do a full cleanup. they get billed regular mowing price for the bagged cuts. we keep track of how much extra time was spent bagging and then add it onto the cleanup. normally it is anywhere from 2-4 hours extra that we tack onto the full cleanup. people seem to like it this way as their lawn is always clean. it also makes the full cleanup easier since everything is getting removed regularly.

as far as fall cleanup customers go they will usually get 1 or 2 full cleanups.

our fall cleanup prices are probably the most competitive in the area. we land 85% of fall cleanups for non mowing customers. and that is mainly because we have invested a lot of money into good equipment to get the work done fast. We use carbon copy forms for estimates of this nature, we come up with a price on the spot, if people want it done they sign the bottom accepting the charges and they get a copy of the quote. and are then scheduled if they say we will get back to you, we write them off as a no go but hold the quote for 30 days if they call they call but we don't follow up. we have never gotten a job on a follow up phone call from a quote. people either want you or they dont
Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, and when I hear "I'll talk it over with my husband/wife", we're not getting the job.

Unless they haven't gotten all/other estimates yet, they have a number in their head on what they want/are willing to pay.

Many have no idea of the market/cost to have leaves cleaned up/removed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.