Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Difficult Areas To Mow Steep Hills Etc How Do You Handle Them Post Your Pictures Etc

I started this thread to see how different people handle very difficult areas to mow , post pictures explain how you would handle these situations and offer insight on best way to cut steep hills and ditch lines etc. The picture here is a large steep hill that's uneven and has a lot rocks etc , the grass is always high since it is a 2 week cut so you have to double cut it , I use my zero turn but it pushes the limit of what a zero turn can do. How would other guys on here handle hills like this?
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Frist problem is double cutting. A lawn that is EOW and grows enough to need a double cut needs to be cut EW.

Double cut you are doing double work and should be paid for it.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anything that steep should not have grass on it. No mow ground covers. I, for the life of me cannot understand why there is insistence on mowed grass when mowing it becomes a Fear Factor stunt. My mower for that kind of area would be a sprayer applying 4 oz per acre of RoundUp.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with 32vld, if it needs to be double cut then it shouldn't be getting cut EOW. I would be charging them double, as it takes me twice a long. As for hills, I live in Florida, but the few hills I do encounter I just mow at an angle or very slowly. If it's possible I drive straight up and down the hill.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'll tell you how I would handle it. 5 years ago or longer id take that account and mow it with a ztr just like you are doing. Now id op to not bid and pass on that lawn no questions asked. Iv paid for way to many hydro pumps and a few wheel motors as well. The primary reason is that hill your on it causes the strain on the pumps and reduces their life majorly. My other reason is I never make any money on the hills I always treat it like a regular lawn and then when my time is double I am wishing I hadn't taken the call.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I'll tell you how I would handle it. 5 years ago or longer id take that account and mow it with a ztr just like you are doing. Now id op to not bid and pass on that lawn no questions asked. Iv paid for way to many hydro pumps and a few wheel motors as well. The primary reason is that hill your on it causes the strain on the pumps and reduces their life majorly. My other reason is I never make any money on the hills I always treat it like a regular lawn and then when my time is double I am wishing I hadn't taken the call.
Best answer yet. Then again, there are miles of roadsides like that in my state that have people string trimming them 12 months a year. OSHA would have a field day, the state HIOSH is looking the other way. I am rather stewed about what it costs to send people out to hand cut what should be chemically mowed once every 4-6 months.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in southeast KY with land about like yours in WV, about every yard I have has some type of hill(s). I use a 54" walkbehind for stuff like that, big enough to where you're still working efficiently and a heck of a lot safer than the white knuckle ride you're taking on the ztr.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
I started this thread to see how different people handle very difficult areas to mow , post pictures explain how you would handle these situations and offer insight on best way to cut steep hills and ditch lines etc. The picture here is a large steep hill that's uneven and has a lot rocks etc , the grass is always high since it is a 2 week cut so you have to double cut it , I use my zero turn but it pushes the limit of what a zero turn can do. How would other guys on here handle hills like this?
If you are going to do that, you should have your ROPS in the up position.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Start from the bottom, side to side. Cut it once at a higher setting and load up. ROPS only help if you're belted in which no one does. I take all mine off, they re more dangerous than helpful. I can bail off the mower at any given micro second as well as not take the stupid risk in the first place and can drive out of any situation that I knowingly put myself in. Easy money if you price it correctly. That's what it's all about! The Hokey Pokey!! yeeee haaaww!!

Last edited by ashgrove landscaping; 12-03-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Difficult Areas To Mow Steep Hills Etc How Do You Handle Them Post Your Pictures Etc

I go 8 mph on these hills. My good old Wright stander does it no problem at full speed. I have a few really really steep ones. You have to really pay attention or you will go down.