Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't wait on the website. If you get it up now and do what you can to start ranking well on google you might be able to get a good bit of calls from that alone in the spring. Worked well for me this first year, i wouldnt have near as many customers as i do now without the website. Combine that with passing out your cards/magnets and the word will get out there.

[QUOTE=TheLugNutZ;4901019]

*Advertising
Going to pri use word of mouth and I live in a huge neighborhood so im going to make up business cards and magnets and walk around passing them out and talking to people. A few people around my street that i know personally have already said they would use me or at least get a quote for my services. Also going to have a few polo shirs made with the business name/logo. I will also eventually make a website, but prob not up front, but im still debating that. I used to make them years ago and while im sure I still can, i would prob end up paying a friend of mine to design it, and obv ill have to pay to have it hosted.

*Billing/invoicing/payments
Pretty simple, Ill be sending the invoices myself or dropping them off when im at the property. Still not sure if i should bother offering credit card payment services up front, maybe ill wait a while on that. Anyone have any experience? Is it worth the CC fees to be able accept them? Im just going to use some simple invoice paper (doesnt quickbooks make them for you to be printable?).
Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I agree. Im working on a name (have one, just need to register it) and Im going to also register the domain name tonight for the web site. Time to start working on a logo so i can get the site/cards/magnets up and running. I also want to get a few polo shirts made with the logo/name on it.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Put a nice, professional looking ad with pictures on Craigslist, update it in the morning and late afternoon everyday. Put up a facebook page. Both free. Weed out the cheapskates and depending on your area, you'll most likely still end up with as much work as you can handle.
Posted via Mobile Device
This............

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 11-16-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk90s13 View Post
This............
Glad to see it works for others. CL, IMO is a great way get business and FREE advertising.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Glad to see it works for others. CL, IMO is a great way get business and FREE advertising.
Posted via Mobile Device

3 years of only CL and works fine for me

you must have a nice clean ad to stand from the rest of the crowd

and a FB page is a must as well with pictures and updates specials etc

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can any of you Jersey guys chime in on insurance costs? Im an insurance agent and we cant do start-up contractors anymore, so I got a quote from a broker local and she only shopped me to Selective. It was like $1300 a year w/ $5000 of mobile tool/equip coverage $1mill liab. Seems a bit steep.. I thought my company wasnt cheap and we would be ~$900 if I was elig.. I know as a start up its going to be more, but I really dont have the time to call 100 different companies, really trying to see if there are a few particular ones I should focus on..

TIA
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLugNutZ View Post
Can any of you Jersey guys chime in on insurance costs? Im an insurance agent and we cant do start-up contractors anymore, so I got a quote from a broker local and she only shopped me to Selective. It was like $1300 a year w/ $5000 of mobile tool/equip coverage $1mill liab. Seems a bit steep.. I thought my company wasnt cheap and we would be ~$900 if I was elig.. I know as a start up its going to be more, but I really dont have the time to call 100 different companies, really trying to see if there are a few particular ones I should focus on..

TIA
I'm in MD and mine is about the same. It sucks. This whole "legit" thing isn't fun.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I kind of anticipated around a grand. It is what it is.... now just gotta pick up some work. Someone reached out to me this week to spread 4 yard of mulch and clear some brush from a 75x10 area. Only thing that sucks is he is an hour away and I cant haul mulch that far so he is going to have it delivered and im just going to do the labor. I really need to go see it b/c Im not so sure about the brush clearing by hand...