Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2003, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting started........again.

well,i just moved 40 miles from my customers and an area i was familiar with.I just bought some equipment to get started in the area i'm in now.it's a little less "urban" than the area i moved from and i dont know how to really get started again.i ordered buisness cards but should i print flyers. if i print flyers should i put them on mailboxes(or is that legal????) or go door to door.i work for a large school system on a groundscrew so this small lawn buisness is part time for the time being(hope its full time some day). i just need tips on how i should get started again and how i should bid jobs.i've only seen a few landscaping trucks in the area and this area is starting to grow.i just like to do maintenance and i hate planting flowers.sorry this is so scatterbrained but i'm distressed and would greatly appreciate feedback!!!!!
Old 04-26-2003, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

sorry guys,must have been drunk when i wrote this.thanks for not slamming me.i still could use advice on advertising though!
Old 04-29-2003, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

'rage in most places it is illegal to place flyer in MAIL boxes but acceptable to place them in PAPER boxes. hit some neighborhoods that you think you could get some actual return if you brand new to this don't go right for the 500k + homes start smaller. you say that you do this part time? don't overload yourself then start aim for 15 yards your first year. you don't like to but in flowers??, well sorry to break it to you but learn to expect it. people in general like to have one person servicing all their lawncare needs this includes installation of annuals and changing them out in step with the changing on the season.

if you have time vs money do the flyers. money vs time find a local newspaper or something of that nature to advertise in. most small-town newspapers, not your local regional paper, are very reasonable in advertising.

remember to keep advertising too. it not one time deal. to make a name people have to see a name.

hope this helps out.

travis g. hicks
Old 04-30-2003, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks travis for the feedback. will use it to the best of my ability.I did put cards on the mailboxes though(not in). no responce yet but thinking of traveling back to my old stomping grounds and maybe things will pick up here as i advertise.thanks for the info,much appreciated..........................still hate planting flowers though.lol!